Topic

Kudos to Tim Marshall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Kudos to Tim Marshall

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Moravec
    BPL Member

@mntentman

Locale: The Great Midwest

I ordered two Revelation X quilts from Tim Marshall/Enlightened Equipment. They arrived today and look great. What was especially nice is that they arrived much more quickly than I had expected, meaning my daughter and I have them well before our Boundary Waters trip in May. Tim did a great job making them and getting them to us.

Brian Raap

@braap

Locale: Bay Area

I would love to see pictures!

Kenneth Houseal
    BPL Member

@homewardbound

Tim produces some really nice and affordable gear! My 20* overstuffed Rev X has taken me to 16* comfortably(just last week in Mongolia). I have 0 complaints and am not the least bit surprised to see a post giving props to Tim…he deserves it!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

Very glad you guys are happy. I am really glad we have been able to lower our prices so much from what we were doing (i was doing) before. I am glad it allows so many more people to experience the freedom quilts give.

-Tim

David Ure

@familyguy

Indeed – received my quilt a couple of weeks ago and meant to post how quickly I got it, how excellent the quality is, and how anxious I am to use it! Tim rocks.

Jeff Moravec
    BPL Member

@mntentman

BTW, I had also ordered a GoLite Ultralite 800 quilt. It was listed as having a 56-inch girth, just like the Rev X I ordered from Tim. They aren't even close. The Rev X girth is nice and generous for me (5-11, 175 lbs) and the GoLite is significantly smaller. I returned the GoLite.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

It's not the width it's the cut. There's is 56" wide, in One spot. Mine is 56" wide the whole top half. Both are good for different sleep styles.

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Tim, how close are you to Wilmar or Pennock?
    Duane

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Must not be that close as I am not familiar. I am almost in WI right at the bottom of the state. Far from all the things I love about Northern MN

-Tim

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I used to have cousins in Mpls/StPaul, Mankato too.
    Duane

Jeff Moravec
    BPL Member

@mntentman

Thanks for the clarification, Tim. I do know which style is best for me — yours.

BTW, Wilmar is a couple of hours west of the Twin Cities, a long way from Winona.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

I just opened the box and there was my new 20F overstuff quilt. I wanted something to replace my cold weather bag and this thing looks awesome! The stitching and workmanship is top notch and the loft is higher than I had hoped. Tim makes an excellent product.

Brian, if you want to see any pics of any part of it in particular let me know and I'll post them here.

Tom Beno
    Spectator

@killerb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I almost forgot to add my Glowing Overall Product Endorsement for Tim's quilts. At the time I ordered (a couple of months back), folks seemed to be receiving orders in 5-6 weeks…with Tim stating his plan to get the time down to 3+ weeks. Lo and behold, mine delivers in less than four weeks. I open the box and the quilt expands like a living thing – like a scene from that old movie The Blob. Huge. Fluffy. Overkill for my needs, which is exactly what I wanted. Thanks Tim!

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

I got my Revelation X quilt last night and I have got to say what a great quilt at an incredible price. I got a 6 foot, wide, 30°, overstuffed quilt with green fabric on top and black on bottom. The weight came out at 22.25 ounces on my scale. I searched for the "flaws" in the second quality fabric that made this price point possible. I found two little thread lines that were a different color in the green (difficult to find so barely noticeable). I couldn't find any flaws in the black fabric. Construction seems top quality and the down is sooo much nicer than the 1970's era REI bag this is replacing.

This is my first quilt, so I was interested in seeing how easy it would be to keep out drafts. Initially I stuck my feet in the foot box and pulled the quilt up around me. As I moved it was difficult keep me covered. Then I snapped the top button around my neck. It was difficult to close, but as soon as I did that, the whole bag pulled in around me. Then as I moved the bag moved with me. I quickly heated, so I pulled on leg out of the footbox and stuck it out. It was really amazing how warm the bag was and how easy it was to regulate temperature. I then realized it was much easier to keep the top button snapped and then duck in or out of the bag.

I am a very happy customer.

Quilt:
    EE Quilt

Detailed View:
    EE quilt detail

The "flaw""fabric "flaw"

M F
    BPL Member

@swimming

Have you found the quilts to be warm enough? I am thinking of switching to a quilt but worried about deafts and staying tucked in…

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

M, I didn't mention this in the other thread, but my 20* Rev X with 30% overfill is good to about 0* with the proper clothing and sleeping pad. I've been down to 15-20* in just a heavy baselayer.

The beautiful thing about Tims quilts are the Karo baffles. In 30 seconds you can pat the down to move it exactly where you want to.

Some people would call me crazy, but this has become my 4 season piece. When it is warm enough to sleep in just clothing, I do that. When temps require some sort of insulation, I can pat all the down away from the middle, so the insulation directly over me is very very minimal. As the temps drop, I shift it over me. It's heavier than other light quilts designed for summer, but I have one piece that does it all. I probably am the minority in making this quilt my summer quilt as well, but it works for me.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Travis, do you still have your Draft Dodgerâ„¢? How does it handle the drafts with a quilt? I've been thinking about making up something like this for winter and shoulder season for some time, ever since I saw that post.

M, I have a Revelation 20° with 30% overstuff that I have taken into the teens a few nights now. I toss a fair bit, but I wrap the quilt around me, and use a little shock cord to keep it snug, and I rarely have issues with drafts. Though, that seems to be the minority experience with quilts.

Like Travis, I intend to use this for all seasons (until I can find the time to make a 1-season summer quilt for fun). The way that the footbox opens up easily turns the quilt into a blanket in warmer weather. Very nice–and one of the main reasons I went for Tim's stuff rather than other manufacturers.

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Clayton,
    Yes I do! I haven't used it too much this year, but I did revise where the shock cord goes across the top to hold the sides up. I think I moved the upper one 12" closer to the feet. I still like it a lot, but Tim's quilts do a great job on their own staying put. For ~5 ounces, it's a great ground sheet and keeps your quilt together when you need it to. If I had to make a revision, I'd make the side walls out of Pertex or some very breathable, yet wind and water resistant material. I've also toyed with ideas to add a bug net to it for spring/summer, but nothing worth pursuing. Mostly, it really helps prevent your quilt/bag from getting dirty.

>The way that the footbox opens up easily turns the quilt into a blanket in warmer weather.

Oh, for sure. That quilt is so versatile, its not even funny. Just a great piece of gear. I hear that Tim has reduced the size of the Karo baffles. I wonder how that affects both unintended and intended down shift? In my quilt, down stays put for the most part when I want it to, and is really easy to move when I want it to.

Art Tyszka
    BPL Member

@arttyszka

I'll again echo my extreme satisfaction with Tim's quilts. I have 2, and recently sent my 40F Rev 10d/10d back to him to have it overstuffed a bit. It came back even better than I had hoped and still a scant 15.1 ounces for a 6' Wide quilt that should take me down comfortably into the 30's. Can't wait to try it out this Spring with the additional fill.

As for my RevX 20F with overstuff, I've had that into the high 20's with nothing more than boxers and a merino t-shirt and was perfectly comfortable, until it was time to get up and pee . . . I love that quilt for late Fall in MN.

Patrick O’Neil
    Spectator

@human

Just curious, the site seems to offer the revelation x with 50", 54" and 58" widths, so how are people getting 56"? Is this with over fill?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Last year it was 48(straight taper) 52 and 56

-Tim

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Just received a 50f prodigy with 10d inner and outer to use as a summer quilt in Michigan and as a winter Overquilt.

I ordered a Wide/Large and without straps it came in at 395g (website has it has 440g)

Nice one Tim.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools