Topic

The “naughty” heavy luxury items that you just don’t wanna leave behind!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The “naughty” heavy luxury items that you just don’t wanna leave behind!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Jeff M.
    BPL Member

@catalyst

I bring along my tenkara setup and my hammock when there is an opportunity to use them. I also don't get out as much as I'd like (young children), so when I do I bring along my DSLR and a wide angle lens to get some fun pictures. I always hate carrying it around, but I'm always glad I did once I get home.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Here's an update. I brought my luxury items: strumstick, extra shoes, full-sized paperback book, bivy sack (I brought a tent), coffee cup. The extra weight of the items plus having to carry 3 liters of water in a few sections KILLED me. I had terrible sciatic nerve pains from the waist band of my pack. I almost couldn't stand up after using my cathole at one point. I could barely hike downhill and dodging poodle dog bush was almost impossible with the inability to move my hip properly.

Sadly, I used and enjoyed all those items, with the exception of the extra shoes. I would bring them all again. The cup was especially nice because someone was giving out hot chocolate on the trail and I was so close to hypothermia at the time it really cheered me up. The bivy sack helped on that really cold night, too.

So now I have to decide: Should I lighten up next time or use a pack that can handle the weight? It was really nice to have things to do and to linger in camp over coffee, music and reading material.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

"With that, we need an ultralightweight hangover remedy."

I'd point out that caffeine helps with headaches (hence its use in numerous OTC headache pills). And that for in lieu of your morning tea or coffee you can't get lighter than:

No-Doze tablets.

They are kind of rough on an empty stomach, though.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

I like an extra small Ti mug so i can have a hot drink while dinner cooks in my pot, a small bit of light hand and face lotion, a few wet wipes and camp shoes, which are light teva Mush slippers.

If I'm heading to a beach or place to swim, I may also take a pareau and a child's size inflatable ring.

One item I have been wanting to take on longer hikes, but never have is my mini "Stick" which is a small massage stick, the kind with hard plastic beads over a flexible rod. At 8 oz, it's hard to justify carrying no matter how good it is at working out kinks and triggers points.

Delmar O’Donnell

@bolster

Locale: Between Jacinto & Gorgonio

At the top of my 'lux' items, it's a decent knife. For my next hike I'm actually pondering taking a Spyderco Cruwear Mule (on right), which is a whopping 6 oz with sheath. I never pack less than a 2 oz Spyderco Caly Jr. I feel positively naked without a stout knife, minimum 3" blade and preferably 4"….

Spyderco Mule in Cruwear

…and my Thermarest ProLite Plus is quite the barge at 1 lb 6 oz…

…I'm certain nobody's surprised when I admit my base pack weight is currently 13 lbs… feeling so guilty.

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I'm a horrible camper. I'm not a foodie, I get bored with books when the weather is nice, I never learned how to fish (but I want to), I think pictures from my iPhone are fine (gasp!)

So I bring beer. A couple of 22oz Elysian Immortal IPAs is my fall back. Something about that particular IPA is good all the the time. They pair well with the "where is the nearest high point, anyway?" mentality.

mark henley

@flash582

What does it mean When good scotch only tastes right when drunk from a TI mug?

John Holmes

@jcholmes

Locale: SouthEastern US

Astounding how a couple of swigs at the end of a hard day of hiking makes everything feel better.
    There is no greater luxury than that.

Viewing 8 posts - 51 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools