Topic

Trinity Alps Septemberfest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Trinity Alps Septemberfest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

If I was to vote I would go for someplace other than Morris Meadow. I think it's too dry and packed out in the fall compared to how it is early in the season (see Jay's photos in the other thread).

It's a cool place though, no doubt.

Do we have time for the Four Lake Loop? That's an awesome hike…..

BPL Member

@rememberthelorax

Looks like I have family in town that weekend, so I have to back out of having my name on the list of attendees.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

I need to seriously start looking at booking my flight in the next week or two.

Are we getting pretty confident that the weekend of Sept 28th is it?

Thanks.

James Winstead
    Spectator

@james_w

Locale: CA

Nice! Please count me in. I'll prob be out of vacation days by then, so a Friday night- Sunday version is good to me.

Jim McD, hopefully you've been very good this year and aren't so severely punished by the travel gods again.

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

It is a full Moon weekend. Moonlight and granite in the woods. The 28th it is. Friday through Sunday.

Destination and route/s will be posted as soon as I figure it out. Hope to have that done by the weekend, The map is out.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

First of all I would like to thank all those who came last year. It was fun!

This year Sept. 28-30th

This year, I have kept the hike in a little shorter. Those of you who drive 4+ hours to get here should not get a nine mile hike in bed the fist night right away as a reward.

I have chosen Bowerman Meadow as our base camp location. 3.5 miles from the trailhead. This will give us a chance for two different hikes from there. The Four Lakes Loop is accessible from Long Canyon Trail.

From the meadow there is a challenging cross country route to three remote lakes, Lake Anna, Billy Be Damn Lake, and Echo Lake.

This trip promises lakes, granite, mountains, views, good times.

How to get there…

Find yourself on Hwy 299 in Weaverville, CA. and the junction with Hwy 3. Go north on Hwy 3 for 22.5 miles. You should spot a sign that says Long Canyon Trail 3, Mule Creek 7 turn left here onto County Road 115. This junction is shortly beyond Guy Covington Drive on the right and immediately after a bridge over the East Fork of the Stuart Fork.

Travel along paved road passing numerous turnoffs to private houses until you reach a right hand turn onto Forest Rd. 35N10 at 2.6 miles, which should be signed for Long Canyon Trail. Follow this gravel road for 0.3 mile to another signed intersection, where you turn left into the ample parking area near the trailhead.

Like last year it is best if each carload gets their own backcountry permit. They are free. You can register in Weaverville at the Forestry office west of your intersection with Hwy 3.

Hope this sits well with all of you.

See you there!

Feel free to PM or ask me any questions or comments.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I am interested too. I have a vehicle and could carpool from Santa Rosa.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I was just looking at the driving route, here's the latitude/longitude for the turn-off from Hwy 3 to County Road 115. Streetview will show the sign that Ken referred to:

40.915912, -122.770629

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Steven. That's the spot.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

What kind of weather and overnight lows could we expect that time of year?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

75h 35l on average. Afternoon clouds, but sunny. Should be real nice.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

NIce!

Day hike to summit SIligo Peak?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Sure David, with 4 lakes thrown in for good measure.

I will get some maps up soon.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

If there's a list, I'd like to be on it :D

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hey Ken. This is sounding good. Sandra and I would most likely drive up Friday evening and arrive late, so 3.5 miles sounds better than the 9ish of last year.

We may be leaving out of Dublin (at BART), so if anyone is interested in a carpool from there let me know and we can talk about it. Assume we'll be leaving Dublin between 5 and 6 PM and arriving at the trailhead around 10 PM.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Full Moon. Night hike in!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Here is a map of our general area. PM me your e mail and I will send you a file copy. It is setup for legal size paper 8.5×14"

bfll

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

I would arrive around 9-ish as well. Are we all going to meet and then hike or hike in whenever we arrive?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Get there and hike in. Will have the turn to the meadow marked.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Anybody driving up from the Bay area? I'm probably going to fly into Redding but might use SFO since there are not many good flights out of there.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

There is a good amount coming from the Bay. I'm sure a solution will present itself. Let me know what you need here that you can't fly with. Fuel, swords. etc…

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Ok, flight is booked. Dang….not cheap these days(at least I had a $100 credit from their screwup last time). I'll be flying straight into Redding so I'll probably be sticking out my Internet thumb looking for a ride. Luckily the airport is close to the interstate.

I actually booked extra early to allow the airline to screw up again(apparently 8 hours wasn't enough last time). I'll be getting into Redding on Wed so if anybody has suggestions on cool things to do, I'll probably be roaming around taking in the sites making a vacation of it(probably rent a car wed and thurs).

Thanks for the offer Ken. I know I'll need fuel and a stove thanks to the airline nazi. I just boil water so I'm pretty flexable.

A sword….good idea, I see myself standing on one leg at sunrise on a rock at one of the lakes practicing….eh..something;->

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

If you rent a car, go check out Mt. Shasta and Mt. Lassen if you haven't before. Redding is on the way to the location (unless you are coming from the west), so people should be able to pick you up, me included.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Hi Jim. I remember your fiasco last year. Fingers crossed for you this time around, looking forward to seeing you at Septemberfest!

Regarding Redding area – I would also head towards Shasta. If you're up for a short but awesome hike, check out Castle Crags. It's a spectacular rock formation which is the highest geographical feature in the immediate area. Great views of Mt. Shasta along the hike, especially from the top.

This is about 45 mins north of Redding. Start at the PCT trailhead (towards Canada) at Soda Creek and follow it until the junction of the Crags Trail. It's 4 miles to "end of trail" maybe a quarter mile of rock scrambling to see the amazing view. There is also a short detour to Indian Springs along the way which cascades down the rock face and worth stopping at. The hike is all uphill, then all downhill.

My wife and I just hiked it a couple weeks ago. It had been 7 or 8 years since we were last up there. We went up and stayed to watch the sun set on Shasta, then came down after dark. Definitely worthwhile.

Castle Crags state park was closed due to our state budget, but it's now temporarily open (not sure what the situation will be in Sept). If the park does happen to be open and you want a shorter hike then you can cut 1.5 miles off each way by catching the Crags Trail from within the park.

James McDaniel
    Spectator

@bigearth

Awesome, Thanks Jacob, just was I was looking for. Now I have something else to look forward to.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools