Topic

Bay Area GGG 5.0

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Bay Area GGG 5.0

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Hi, Ken

The last GGG was a blast–so many great BPL'rs attended, lots of UL gear was displayed that previously I'd only heard about (but was then able to see up-close-and-personal), and the food and drink were exceptional, too–so I'm hoping to make it to GGG 5.0.

I can't make a firm commitment at this point (for the reason mentioned in my recent PM to you), but it's more likely that I'd be able to make it to an event scheduled for the February date.

Thanks for putting in the time and effort to organize these events.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Looking forward to this.

Is it a dry event this year ?

Any chance of funding SamH, AndrewS, or MikeC! To come give a clinic ?

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

"Any chance of funding SamH, AndrewS, or MikeC! To come give a clinic ?"

Not a bad idea! I'd also be interested in seeing some more cottage manufacturers. Trail Designs and Gossamer Gear were great additions last year.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So more celebs and big name talent are wanted. OK let's see what can be made to happen. I agree that more of the cottage folk attending would be great. Many here seem to be fairly tight with some of them. If so and you think they should attend a GGG please invite them. I am working on a invite for some of them too.

Hikin' Jim will be back for another fireball/stove demo.

Amy Lauterbach has offered to teach us all more about the birds of Coe.

I hope that Trail Designs and Gossamer Gear will attend again.

A dry event this year? I won't be checking bags or playing parent. I only ask that people remember that children are attending, and to use some discretion and common sense. If you become a bother, you will leave. Simple.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

GGG 5.0

THE best thing happening on the west…seriously…Go and have a fun time folks!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I vote for January….great way to kick off the new year!

Will be the unofficial photographer….maybe I will have a new camera by then?

(I have only been talking about it and researching for the past 1.2 yrs).

Last year was special in that we had such a large turn out and with families, we had our 1st manufactures coming out to represent, we had our stove expert Hikin' Jim giving demos and providing a wealth of information to everyone.

Ken T. has this dialed in pretty well….happy to help out anyway that I can.

There was supposed to be an article written and submitted to BPL outlining how it was all put together.

Not sure if that article was ever submitted or if BPL is just sitting on it, waiting for the right time to publish it.

-Tony

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Is it a dry event this year ?"

Well, I'm sure everyone always hopes it doesn't rain, but it's hard to give a proper weather forecast this far out…..

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Or was Cameron referring to if there would be alcohol there, given that there are children present?

My thoughts are that alcohol is fine….we are adults and nothing in excess.

Last thing I want to see is Ken H. running around naked and looking to share a tent with someone.

Why do you think I use a bivy bag? :)

-Tony

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Oh no, I could only imagine what Tony would do with a DSLR.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

January 25-27th, 2013 Henry Coe

I'll make that official. January has been fairly kind weather wise as of late. Hopefully that will continue one more time.

I will reserve some spots ASAP.

That's a Friday trough Sunday. Anyone want to go in on some car camping spots for Thurs. night? I'm for stretching it out as long as possible.

I will start a thread in trip announcements. Please follow the discussion over there.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=68870&skip_to_post=588913#588913

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Just and idea for something fun to do since this is right after the holidays.

How about a contest for the most pimped out shelter?

I remember a few years back, Nate bought out xmas lights to go on his shelter.

Could Xmas out the shelter for fun.

-Tony

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I'm probably down for Thursday. It's only an hour away for me.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

So Ron Moak from SMD is giving it a go at attending. He was fun in the Alps last October.

The Gossamer Gear folks will represent too.
    Their plan is to do OR for the first two days then come and attend the GGG.
    So we will keep the date as is.

The invites to manufacturers are going out.

Let me know who you would love to meet.

a b

@ice-axe

It was so fun meeting the folks of Trail Designs (Caldera Cone) last year.
    Watching the manufacturer themselves kindle a blaze and cook a steak on their own product was pretty real.
    They are local i believe and i hope they attend this year.

Glad you are keeping the flame alive Ken.

BPL is about people more than anything.

Cheers Bro.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Ken,

I would love to see Henry from Tarptents and Ron from Mountain Laurel Designs be able to make it out.

Thrilled to hear that the manufactures are coming out to spend time with us.

Ken….do you think it might be possible for us to bring some folding tables in the support vehicles for the manufactures to use to display their products?

-Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Should be a whole new dynamic this time around. I too am looking forward to the folks behind the gear.

Picnic tables and some portable tables should be enough. I have a roll up table. Anyone else have something?

As always feel free to PM me or if you are locked out e mail me kenthompson2(at)mac.com

Remember the GGG is open to all BPL members and guests.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

"Last thing I want to see is Ken H. running around naked and looking to share a tent with someone."

Don't worry Tony, as I will NOT be attending. One less Jacka++ to deal with. Thank you.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Point of clarification about the GGG….Ken T. correct me if I am wrong.

The GGG is open to everyone….even if you are NOT a BPL Member.

Does not matter if you are MLifer, Regular paying member, Registered Guest of BPL (non-paying), or if you just happen to browse the forums and don't have an account of any sort here.

This is about having fun and hanging out with people who enjoy backpacking/the outdoors.

Heck, if you are totally new to backpacking and simply want to see a ton of backpacking gear that HAPPENS to be lightweight/ultralight…PLEASE come out!

This is NOT a Gathering of UL/Lightweight Snobs!!!

One of the great things about the Gathering of Gear Geeks is that it is a great opportunity for you to see and touch gear that you can only find online, make new friends and find hiking partners for future trips, share/gain wisdom for others about how to use gear and where to go to take trips, and to just have a good time.

Great thing is that even if you are shy or introverted, you have the best ice breaker possible….a common love of the outdoors.

That said, hope to see you all out there.

-Tony

BPLers 2012 GGG: Henry Coe State Park, CA.

BPLers 3rd Annual 2011 GGG: Henry Coe State Park, CA.

BPLers 2011 GGG: Henry Coe State Park, CA.

Special Video Made by EJ Documenting the 2011 GGG
    Backpackers Gone Wild: BPL 3rd Annual SF Bay Area Gathering of Gear Geeks (GGG) Jan 26-27, 2011.

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

and Tony, if you could please. Delete any offensive pictures of me from the third annual one. I feel as if they misrepresent me and feel that I would rather have others judge me on a more better light. Thank you.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Yes Tony anyone can attend.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Ken T.,

Go you got it….will get it done.

Will PM you.

-Tony

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools