Topic

Bay Area GGG 5.0

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Bay Area GGG 5.0

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

This is a go.

Jan. 25-27th at Henry W. Coe State Park, Morgan Hill, Ca,

See trip announcement pages here.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=70743

Open to members and guests of BPL alike.

Looking for ideas and activities for what promises to be the biggest and by far the best GGG yet.

We will have a courtesy tent with a schedule of events and other pertinent information posted. Like a GGG HQ.

If you have a demonstration, exhibition, new skill or gear that you would like to share, this would be the time to do it.

I am interested in what those of you saw/did at the ADZPCTKO. Any of the things they do there that we should do here?

I know it is still a loooong way off. Just planting the seed.

1/25-27th 2013

Feel free to email me kenthompson2(at)mac.com

Disclaimer:
    And thanks once again for Ken Helwig starting this ball rolling. I shamelessly took this event away from Ken H. when it appeared to me that he was not going to do another one.

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Might want to tip off Backpacker. They might want to cover the event.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Good idea. Maybe some of the better known bloggers too. I've been pestering Scott Herriot as well. Too bad that there isn't an internet site that does their own articles that focuses on lightweight backcountry travel. That would be neat. :p

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

I'd be happy to talk to Addie/Ryan about covering the event, taking photos, videos, and such for a post-event article. But I have no power to invoke pre-event advertising or anything like that.

Sunol and Del Valle, adjacent to the Ohlone Wilderness, have group campsites. Diablo and Black Diamond Mines do as well. These are really close and would offer great hiking in the winter.

Matthew Dina
    BPL Member

@skiermdd

What is the GGG? I'm unfamiliar with that acronym & get way too many at work, etc. already!

Is there a website or email list or anything for this, or do I just need to monitor the forums here for updates?

Thanks,

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Gathering of Gear Geeks

Cayenne Redmonk
    BPL Member

@redmonk

Locale: Greater California Ecosystem

Round table discussion on the future of BPL and the GGG, the usefulness of becoming a separate entity for information control, preservation, etc.

With its own site, GGG could become the new major social community advocating for enjoyable wilderness excursions with light gear.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Cameron. A stand alone GGG site. Hmmm.

Angus A.
    BPL Member

@mangus7175

Locale: http://theshadedtrail.blogspot.com

Have you guys considered setting up a meetup group thru http://www.meetup.com/? It should be free to create a new group and it includes an internal Discussion Board as well.

Just a thought…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I have not considered Meetup. It has been suggested before. For the time being I am happy to keep the information here. I don't really want to open up the GGG to the whole world yet.

a b

@ice-axe

Wow!. Scott Herriot aka Squatch is a buddy of mine.
    All we need to attract the likes of him, and his camera(s), is a location resembling Bigfoot country.
    For the other BPL'ers unfamiliar with Squatch's work, he has made many films on hiking. All of his films feature the very human qualities of hikers in an unassuming way.
    The latest is Filp Flop Flippin which is a film about the Appalachian trail. He has also done film about the Pacific Crest Trail such as Walk, Still Walking, Even More Walking and Walked.
    Yea, this is a shameless plug for my friends work.
    If you want to smile, start by watching Flip Flop Flippin; One mans search for characters on the AT.
    At any rate, a big +5 for Squatch being involved in GGG or whatever endeavor we plan for a meetup.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

bump

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Ken,

I'm more interested in enjoying the company of the group and would rather see energies put towards a good turn out rather than any one individual, but of course the more the merrier :)

And having said that, I'd vote against meetup for the time being. The breadth of people found there is much wider than the "niche" light backpacking crowd, not always in a good way (yes, I'm a Meetup member).

My goals for this one are:
    1) Be there
    2) Be there in time to drink some good brew

Anything beyond that is gravy.

Keep up the good work.

Jacob.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Cool Jacob.
    I am not interested in Meetup so non issue. It's hard enough herding cats here without spreading it around. Also the turnout has been more than adequate promoting through this site. It's a family party.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

1/25-27th 2013

One more time at Henry Coe.

Going to select two separate sites with the new bathrooms this time.

Think we'll be a hundred this time?

Hate the thought of that weekend? Speak up. I will be making the reservations soon.

If you would like to volunteer to do a demo or just provide some labor please PM me.

It's getting to me a bit much for one person. I really appreciated the help at the last one.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

If it works out that I can attend again I can certainly pitch in with camp chores.

Suggestion: Maybe we could get a list going for different tasks for each day to get volunteers?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Thanks Eric. Good idea. I'll work on that.

a b

@ice-axe

Put me down for splittin' wood and cleanin' the crapper again!
    (Actually I am the perfect person to do it being a plumber and all I aint squeemish.)

Oh.. and I will gladly be the taste tester for Cameron's beer… again. ;)

I could also bring my home made 6" reflector telescope if anyone would be interested in some astronomy (weather permitting and if the support truck could haul it in)

In a nutshell, i am in for:

Woodsplittin'
    Crapper Cleanin'
    and Star Watchin'

(and drinking beer)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I'm in for watching Matt clean the crapper and probably fall in

So, I'm in for:

sidesplittin' (laughter)
    Crapper Cleaner watchin'
    Star cleanin' (preferably Jennifer Anniston, happy to clean her).

(and drinking beer)

a b

@ice-axe

Sure missed you at last years GGG Doug!

I would be happy to step in sh#t for your amusement. :)
    Hope to see you there!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

January 25-27 full moon weekend

Edit: Date chosen.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I've mentioneed this before, but a great place to go that would also get more people from SoCal involved would be going to Pinnacles National Monument.

It is not much of a trip past Henry Coe, but 5 not so long hours from LA (better than 7 or more anyway).

I've wanted to hit every one of these but have had to work during all but the first one and had a great time.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I already make the 8 hour drive. thanks. Remember the Bay Area I'm in is Humboldt Bay. Coe is really in the middle. Just depends on how bad you want to be there. People have flown from the east coast, driven from out of state, etc…

Any idea on how permitting for groups is done at Pinnacles? So easy at Coe.

Which weekend could you make Aaron?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Hey Ken,

I am in the Coast Guard on a ship, so plans change all the time.

Pinnacles just has a maximum number of people that can stay at one campsite (I think it is 8). You would just need to pick the largest number of camping sites that are close together.

Not sure if you knew, but I was the one who started these get togethers about 5 years ago in the first place. At least it started out as a BPL gathering.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=11125&skip_to_post=81180#81180

So I have wanted to go to every one of them, but have been elsewhere for all but the first.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools