Topic

MYOG Cuben pack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Cuben pack

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Main Pack 2350ci, 38L
    3 Pockets ~450ci
    Back/bottom 2.92 oz/sqyd Cuben Hybrid
    Shoulder straps/ Hip Belt 2.92 oz/sqyd Cuben Hybrid, 1/4 foam, 3D mesh
    Side Panels 1.43 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber with Dyneema Trim
    Back Panel 1.43 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber, Mini-hole stretch Mesh, Dyneema Trim
    Roll top extension collar 1.0 oz/sqyd Cuben Fiber
    Internal pack pad sleeve/ Aluminum stay holder 1.43 Cuben with 2.92 Cuben reinforcement

Total weight 9.8oz stripped

c

cc

ccc

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Very nice. I really love that you used the LineLocs for the roll top. I think that's one of the uses they excel at.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

That is one pretty pack. A lot of nice details there and a thought out compression system. I like the way you trimmed it out too. Do you think the side pockets will cause any problems the way they're angled in like that at the bottom?

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Thanks for the kind words. You can't tell in the pictures, but the water bottle side pockets expand at the bottom, they are actually the same width at the top and bottom so they expand throughout. The way I did this is making 2 folds about an inch or 2 at the bottom when I attached the side panel to the bottom. I do need to install plastic snap gromets for drain holes on the side pockets. Here are pictures with a water bottle in the side pockets, and the folds that allow it to expand.

w

ww

Paul Johnson
    BPL Member

@johncooper

Locale: SoCal

Nice pack. I like the mix of materials. I recently completed a cuben pack and I'm not too pleased with my pockets. I did similar pleats, but I used elastic in the top and made the top a bit too tight. It looks like yours are adjustable with toggles that are integrated into the overall compression system. Can you let us know your thoughts on designing this system and your impression now that it's complete?

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Thanks.

When making this pack, I added 15 attachment points for shock cord. 13 Dee rings and 2 linelocs. My shock cords on the side are attached to mitten hooks so they can be removed and configured in many ways. My thought was that I didn't want to wish I added more attachment points in the future. And to make it more versatile, I could add cord locks at the point the shock cord goes through the dee rings to keep some parts of the shock cord compressed, like the top of the side pockets, then the distal portion of the shock cord could have a different tension or be slacked to lash on bigger gear.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Beautiful pack design KC. I really like the detailed use of specific materials for each area of the pack, like the lighter 1 oz cuben roll top and cuben hybrid on the bottom. I also used the newer cuben hybrid in a recent MYOG pack, it seems much more durable and great for high stress areas.

Have you had any problems with the black cuben hybrid bleading onto clothing? Joe mentions that there might be an issue with the black cuben hybrid, but not with the beige color.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools