Topic

Using your quilt outside of the backcountry

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Using your quilt outside of the backcountry

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Chris Jones
    BPL Member

@nightmarcher

By "outside of the backcountry," I actually mean "inside"

Do any of you use your down or synthetic quilts at home, as a regular comforter/duvet/blanket, or as something warm to snuggle in while watching zombie flicks?

Or is your quilt for "outdoor use only"?

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

The house I used to live in was very old. My family owned it since the 1920's, and I loved it. The central heating didn't actually reach the whole house though, so one room I used for friends that couldn't drive home at the end of a night at bars got especially cold during the winter. This along with the fact that I didn't have a spare cover for the bed anyway meant that my Golite quilt was the perfect thing for friends I trusted. All of the friends that used it loved it.

I've also used it during the winter sitting out on the porch at night. It is hard to beat the warmth and comfort of lightweight down.

I've known people that prefer to feel the weight of down, but I think it is best when it is like there's nothing there but warmth.

The Golite quilts are a good bit cheaper than many UL quilts out there though. If I had a more expensive one, I may be less likely to use it at home.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I have a myog quilt that ended up too small for backcountry use that is used at home. Primarily it sees duty when sitting and reading or at the computer or watching movies.

It's also my 10 year old daughter's favorite slumber party bag. It was warm down below freezing for me but I had to lay flat on my back to get enough coverage. 10oz of down and a total weight of 17oz.

My two other Katabatic quilts are backcountry use only.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools