Topic

Post trip depression

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

Locale: Mid Atlantic

anyone have post trip depression? i have been noticing that in the few days after a backpacking trip i'm feeling depressed – it takes a few days to wear off and then i'm back to normal. i feel this depression even after a quick overnight trip.

i can't be alone with this, can i?

Ike Jutkowitz
    BPL Member

@ike

Locale: Central Michigan

There's only one cure for this. Start planning the next one..

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I never suffered from it when I lived in Ireland but did a bit when I lived in Belgium, moved to Michigan recently but only have 1 trip done so cannot comment yet.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Home is a great place to live but I wouldn't want to vacation there.

Ike's got the solution.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Opposite for me. I enjoy getting back to my wife and kids if they weren't with me. Nothing like a coffee or beer in my own backyard after I've been gone, whether it was for a night or for a week.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Ike and Tim are right, I found organising my next trip helped.

In Ireland I was spoiled by having really good above treeline peaks an hour from my house and the ocean 10 minutes away.

Dave T

@davet

I'm with Craig on this one. Nothing like a week in the mountains to make you appreciate all that's waiting at home!

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I think this calls for deeper examination.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I used to, till I moved. When I lived in Ohio, I'd get post-trip depression because getting to go on a trip in the first place was difficult to pull off (at least 6 hours of driving to get to most destinations). Now in the PNW, I've got hundreds of trips within a few hours – I guess you could qualify my Ohio experience as more of an anxiety.

But I do really appreciate the re-entry. The first shower after nights in the backcountry is the best shower ever.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

One of the things I love most about backpacking is that it's fun to plan for, fun to be out there, and then fun to come home and enjoy luxuries like a hot shower, pillow top mattress, Tivo, a cheeseburger, etc. It's even fun for me when I go back to work so I can show coworkers pictures and bore them with ultralight talk. :)

Maybe just look at it like that. Hope that helps. :/

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

"There's only one cure for this. Start planning the next one.."

AND…buy a new piece of gear you cant wait to try out.

Bradley Danyluk
    BPL Member

@dasbin

Could potentially be simple chemistry.

If you're feeling euphoric on your trip, your brain is likely producing a lot of dopamine and endorphins. Come home, and you have depleted yourself of those chemicals (having used larger than normal amounts) for a while until everything stabilizes.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I think what you feel is not uncommon at all Steven. Maybe your calling it depression makes it sound like something different that people can't relate to. When we're out in the woods or mountains life is simple; walking, shelter, warmth, food, maybe a fire. A lot of people have lives that are much more complicated ( and beautiful too), and when they come back it takes a bit to get used to all that we wrap ourselves with these days. I don't think it has anything to do with not being happy to see your loved ones.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

It is sad when you get back and have to dry out and put away all your gear, wash your BP clothes. What I found is that you have to go BIG!!! I have been on many many small trips (I call small trips 3-7 days in the Sierra's or any National Park in the western US). Buy a ticket to Alaska, spend a week or 10 days there, take 500 pictures, get face to face with brown bears out deep in the wild, it will blow your mind! When you get back, look at the pictures, reflect, and tell yourself "the next trip will be bigger and better and more extreeme" Make goals every year, bigger and bigger. I have found this to quench my adventure thirst.

Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think it's worse for me after big trips – such as a thru hike. When it's over, you are often "ready" for it to be over – in the sense that it's a long, long journey and frankly, you are often a bit tired and ragged toward the end, especially if the weather is turning. But it's also depressing in the sense it's something you've planned and worked for a long time – and when it's over the goal of finishing seems something of a letdown, actually. I was excited to reach the northern terminus, but at the same time, rather sad a fun adventure was over.

But get back to "civilization" and go to work where you need to concentrate all day; that's far more tiresome than hiking. Backpacking is pretty simple – walking punctuated by the need for water/food, the occasional call of nature and sleep.

"Normal" life is far more complicated and aggravating – and depressing. While I was glad to be off trail for a day or two (the opportunity to spend time with my wife again was fantastic), I felt out of sync for a long time. I agree that planning another trip or going bigger are fantastic ideas – as is making a project of your photos.

Hiking is often that way – when I am out I often miss things back home but when I am at home, I miss the trail.

Dirk

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Steven,
    Have you considered maybe you don't get out often enough? Your post trip depression blues may be a sign you are not fully satisfied and want more. Just a thought.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hiking is often that way – when I am out I often miss things back home but when I am at home, I miss the trail.
    +1

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

@Kier: I resemble those remarks!

@Steven
    : Maybe taking a day off at home before diving into work would help? I do that sometimes.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

"Have you considered maybe you don't get out often enough? Your post trip depression blues may be a sign you are not fully satisfied and want more."

This is me. For the last few years I seem to get out once a month for about 12-15 nights between mid May and Mid August, and maybe 2 more single overnights the other 9 months.

Regardless of the trip length, the first night home I really enjoy the shower, warm meal at my table, and a comfy bed, but the next day I wake up, all I want to do is shoulder my pack and get steppin' again. Kinda puts me in a funk thinking that I won't get out again for X amount of time.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Ike may be right about planning the next trip as a cure for the dreaded "post-trip depression" but my solution IMMEDIATELY after a trip is mass quantities of craft beers.

Then your hangover will make post- trip depression seem nice by comparison.

(OK, OK, OK – maybe just a few craft beers will do the trick – a few every 3 hours.)

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

One idea would be to take up MYOG as a hobby. That will quickly eat up all the free time you have and you can be making toys for your next adventure.

I also suggest organizing your photos and maybe writing up a trip report while the memories are still fresh. That helps you process and remember the fun you had.

One thing that helps me is I tend to go all out on trips. I may not go as far or as long as some people but I always push myself even if its just a weekend trip. That helps me because I come home tired out. My first day or so back in civilization is occupeid with cleaning up and resting. By the time I'm recovered I'm adjusted back to the regular world.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

A sure cure for post-trip depression is to sleep outside every night in your backyard or out on the deck or porch. Once the bag night bug bites there's no real cure no matter how many trips you pull or for however long. So, sleep out under the stars wherever you find yourself if at all possible.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

"Regardless of the trip length, the first night home I really enjoy the shower, warm meal at my table, and a comfy bed, but the next day I wake up, all I want to do is shoulder my pack and get steppin' again. Kinda puts me in a funk thinking that I won't get out again for X amount of time."

this really sums up my thoughts well. finding a hole in the calendar is getting tougher and tougher.

Steven Hanlon
    BPL Member

@asciibaron

if i avoid my wife anymore, i can backpack all i want. i'll be living in a tent ;)

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Perhaps home is not all that good? If one dreads their job, situation, and life outside of hiking then they might be depressed.

Does hiking compliment one's life, or is it an escape from one's life. Best to move to the first option.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools