Topic

ultralighting the maze – gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists ultralighting the maze – gear list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

I'm planning a 7 night hike through and around the Maze area of Canyonlands NP in a couple weeks. I'd love feedback on my gear list. My generic gear list would be about a pound lighter but this is my first solo, and in a very remote area, so I'm leaning towards bringing a GPS and being conservative with my clothing and shelter.

Looking for suggestions specifically on:
    – Headnet (will probably myog some mesh thing)
    – GPS
    – Do I need an emergency device? (Spot-style)

This is intended to be the real deal, not theoretical, so if you think I'm missing something critical let me know!

Here it be: Maze Gear List

I'm planning to make a loop through the Maze area beginning at Hans Flat down and around to Spanish Bottom, then head west past the Orange Cliffs to the Dirty Devil. I think I'll take Hatch down to the river and Happy Canyon – French Spring branch – back up to Hans Flat. Any thoughts on this itinerary are welcomed.

Thanks

David Affleck

@utcoyote

My opinion only, but I'm perfectly comfortable moving around in that country (or anywhere else, for that matter…) without a SPOT type device. In a couple of weeks, most of your planned route, I don't think you'd likely have to wait long for someone to come by if it came to that.

On the other hand, for myself, I've found a GPS worth carrying. Never really been too turned around down in there and never had any navigation problem a map and compass couldn't easily handle. But, they don't call it The Maze for nothing and I have found myself double checking and verifying which fork I'm about to turn up often enough to make the raw convenience of a mapping GPS worth having, to me.

Sounds like a really great trip you have planned. I visited Happy Canyon for the first time four weeks ago – awesome narrows!

– Dave

Randy Alexander
    BPL Member

@randy7fx

It looks like you are not calculating your weight correctly as it relates to food. You have 10.5 listed (1.5 lbs per day times 7 days), however, all of your other measurements are ounces.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

That's a good catch Randy, thank you. With that correction skin out comes to ~26lb. Thats alotta food.

David, thanks for your thoughts on the SPOT. I'm inclined to agree. Not a huge fan of the SPOT for a variety of reasons but I thought I'd hear the opinions on it.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Any other thoughts on SPOT or GPS in this area?

I'm comfortable without the Spot, but I would feel pretty stupid if I got into trouble just to save 7 ounces of GPS.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Why do you need a tarp, poncho tarp, and a rain jacket? Unless the forecast looks very rainy, just bring the poncho tarp and a windshirt. Rain pants are not needed. A ground cloth and bivvy are similarly redundant.

Depending on your route, 2 liters of water may not be enough. It might be rather hot.

I'd leave the headnet at home. There might be a few bugs, but not at all bad.

What is the rope for? You won't be bear bagging, and dyneema is a bit slippery and thin for pack hauling.

Clothing and insulation looks good.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Dave thanks for your feedback.

I actually don't have a rain jacket listed. The poncho tarp will serve as my rain protection and will save me ~5 ounces over my Precip jacket.

You're right about there being some redundancy between the cuben tarp and poncho tarp. My reasons are i) I've never done a trip with a tarp and thought it might be nice to afford myself some extra weather/sand protection if need be. ii) If I do have to use the poncho tarp as a rain jacket I'd like to be able to wear it while I set up my shelter.

The cuben tarp is going for sure because I just made it and I want to try it out. Given that the poncho tarp is lighter than my rain jacket option I think it makes sense to bring both.

I may eliminate the groundsheet, but I guess it's the same deal as the tarp where I'm still kind of testing that system out and I'd like the extra protection. I like the idea of the bivy bag to keep sand out of my quilt at night and boost the warmth of my sleeping system. I like the groundsheet because it provides a sand-free place to put my stuff. You're right though, not essential.

The poncho tarp could conceivably provide that extra groundsheet when needed.

The rain pants could potentially be nixed, however they are my only pants. Might toss those though because I typically just where my longjohns under shorts anyways.

I'm planning to add a 2 liter platypus and possibly replace one of the small platys with a rigid water bottle (vitamin water 1L). After talking to the ranger it sounds like I might need as much as a full day's worth of water on me (~4 liters).

The rope is for hauling my bag up/down sketchy spots if need be, I think I can manage to hold on to it. Most of it is actually guylines for the tarp(s).

Good thoughts this is what I need!

Thomas Fischer

@hankmeyer

Hi Tyler,
    I am doing a lot of lightweight cycling. So I crossed the states from Miami to San Francisco by Bike in 4 weeks. I was always wild camping and this is my 4th tour.

I started three years ago with an Garmin GPSmap 60csx (rugged, software was o.k, free maps are available. For me the bigest caveat with the device was the limit of tracks and track points (It was not enough for the whole trip).

Now I am using a GPSMAP 62ST, The Problems with the Tracks are gone, but the Software is not as stabile as the 60csx. I really like the "one-button-does-one-think" UI, so even in dark or while riding it is possible to get a good feeling.

Soo.. really good device, even under worst conditions reliable, but not really cheap.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools