Topic

Seperating zipper sources?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Seperating zipper sources?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I made a 'mid shelter a bit a go- and I sewed in an extra bit of fabric and a 2nd zipper for an open fair weather pitch (see pic below)

d

I feel the idea is a success in theory, but a bit of a failure in execution. Maybe not a complete failure, because technically it works, but it's annoying to have that extra fabric bunched up behind the door's zipper when the awning is not in use. It makes using the doors zipper a bit of a pain, and the loose fabric is prone to getting stuck in the zipper… It's happened a couple of times now.

What I originally wanted was to find some separating zippers, so the awning panel would be removed from the tent when not in use. This saves weight if I want to leave it at home (i.e. camping alone and don't have enough poles for the three pole pitch on hand) and doesn't get in the way of the main door when not in use. The problem was that I could not find any #5 – 60" long separating zippers, let alone waterproof separating zippers long enough…

So, anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find something suitable? If I can find it, I might rip that portion of it apart and re-do it. I suppose it wouldn't even need to be a waterproof zipper, as long as it's a coil zipper, since I'd sil-coat it anyway when I seam seal the stitches. I think that would make it water-proof-enough…

thanks
    BM

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

questoutfitters.com

#5 coil seperating 96" – you could cut it to length

I've seen similar at local fabric store – probably toothed – intended for sleeping bag

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools