Topic

WPB Bivy-design ?s

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear WPB Bivy-design ?s

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

In preparation for summer mountaineering in the cascades, I am planning on making a simple bivy for quick overnights/weekends in the alpine. I've decided I'm just not enough of a masochist to do the simple "sack" bivy if I don't have to, and have come up with a simple design to give me a little versatility. Not much of an artist, sorry

bivy

I figure the extra room at the head would allow it to be suspended from a trekking pole/ice axe/picket/whatever, or pulled down toward my chest if the weather is good. I was thinking a simple drawstring closure for snugging down in super inclement weather, with a zippered bug net entry at the head.

Are my dimensions about right? I'm 6'5" and like my space.

Anyone else used a trekking pole or other tool to suspend the roof of a WPB bivy? I'm hoping it will add a little bit of sanity/views if I'm stuck in there for a bit

I have PU coated nylon for the floor, and HyVent for the roof. I'm hoping to come in under 2 lbs.

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

Some thoughts:

1. Create a mockup using a cheap builder's tarp. A full-size fake is the only real way to check for usability!

2. Consider looking in an army surplus store. You might find a wpb bivvy or bivvy tent that's ripe for hacking. I picked up a full goretex tent bivy for under $50. It's huge and weighs a little under 3lbs. BUT slicing it up and adding a PU or silnylon floor would get that down below 2lb.

3. Many wpb army bivvy bags are big enough to use as a tent anyway and putting a base onto one would get the weight down.

4, I sliced ad resewed an army bivy bag down to 600g for 100% wpb leaving a generous 300g for tarp, poles and pegs in your weight limit.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I've always like the concept of a simple WPB bivy. You might take a look at Miles Gear for some inspiration and thoughts on sizing: http://milesgear.com/

Jeremy Osburn

@earn_my_turns

Locale: New England

I wanted a bivy for the exact same use. My first shot at it turned out like this.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51690

I am refining the design for a second make of it that is looking about like this right now. I am still thinking about it.

Bivy

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

Army surplus- I hadn't thought to look there, as I already have the materials. Any online surplus sources to recommend?

Milesgear- Interesting site, gave me a good idea of workable dimensions. I had thought about making a full tyvek bivy just to make my rich hilleberg-toting friends feel like pansies. I still might.

M90 bivy- would you use that bivy as a standalone shelter? I would feel awfully vulnerable with nothing but m90 overhead, but then again I live in the PNW. Even in summer a good 24hr deluge is common.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Jeremy,

I made a bivy very similar to that in 2003. My vestibule is larger though…just large enough that I have cooked under it while still inside the bivy during rain. I have stake-out loops at both corners of the top and a pull-out loop right above my head for more head room. The head end and side opening are fully screened. I'm an active sleeper so did not include stake-out loops on the foot end. That way, my lower body has the freedom to curl up, ie, the lower half of the bivy is allowed to move with my body.

The floor and vestibule are 1.1oz sil-nylon and the top some kind of heavy WPB…I believe Outdoor Wilderness Fabric told me Gore-Tex.

The vestibule can be staked to the ground in nasty weather yet the head area remains lifted for ample breathing room.

I used this bivy tons in all kinds of weather and really liked it. I quit using it due to not having enough foot room when I switched over to NeoAir. I was also wanting something lighter as it weighs 18oz. I'm guessing with the use of cuben for the floor and vestibule as well as a lighter WPB top, I could get it down to the 13-14oz range. But, it's a bit more of a project than I want to tackle now…plus, I have been enjoying the extra space of my modified Hexamid.

Anyhoo, just thought I'd share my experience with ya. Have fun with it!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools