Topic

Coconut-Cinnamon Granola

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Coconut-Cinnamon Granola

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

My way of eating might not mesh with how many of the guys here eat – but it is what works for me. We eat a near vegan diet rich in nuts, seeds and whole grains. I am currently phasing out the remaining few "processed" foods we were still eating. I do it to keep our cholesterol in check (it works wonders). Anyhow, one thing I have been working on of late is granola. Yeah, good-ol-hippy feed. It works though and tastes great. And it makes a great trail food, both for snacking and for breakfast. While the ingredients may seem expensive, I buy mine in huge bulk quantities since I cook nearly all from scratch. That makes it very affordable. It is vegan as well but no, it isn't Paleo friendly ;-)

This is from my personal blog: http://gazingin.com/2012/04/26/coconut-cinnamon-granola/

Photobucket

Coconut-Cinnamon Granola

Ingredients:

2½ cups old-fashioned oats
    1 cup raw sunflower seeds
    1 cup slivered almonds, crumbled
    ¾ cup Barley Rolled Flakes
    ½ cup shredded coconut
    ¼ cup Brown Sesame Seeds
    ½ cup pure maple syrup
    1/3 cup Organic Raw Coconut Butter
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    ½ tsp fine sea salt
    1 cup raisins
    ½ cup Dried Cherries
    ½ cup Dried Cranberries

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 300°. Make sure the lid on the coconut butter is tightly sealed, place the jar in a heat safe bowl, fill the bowl with hot tap water. Let butter sit till soft, changing the water as needed. The butter will warm up quickly, then measure it.

Mix the oats through sesame seeds in a large bowl. Whisk the maple syrup, coconut butter, cinnamon and salt together. Pour over the dry ingredients, mix well.

Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet, bake for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes.

Take out, stir in the berries and let sit till fully cooled. Store in airtight containers.

Makes about 5 pint jars.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Sounds yummy! I am a great meusli lover, but have skipped granola because most of what I find in stores (including health food bulk sections) is too sweet for my liking. I'll try making my own so I can cut back on the sugar!

Sarah, how well does your granola keep for backpacking, especially extended trips of several weeks where the resupply will be cached in my car? I know you haven't been backpacking for a while (not with a toddler and a newborn!), but have you tested how long your recipes keep at room temperature? I realize that doing this means hiding a small sample from your teenager, which is not easy! Thank you!

BTW, Sarah has some other yummy-sounding granola and other recipes on her personal blog,
    http://gazingin.com/
    Many could be adapted for backpacking meals. For those who like cute baby pics, you'll find those there too!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Hehheh…yeah, hiding food from the Teen and Toddler isn't easy :-O

Mary, I was just down your way – I visited Bob's Red Mill and had waaaayyyyy too much fun. My husband gave me a $ limit and I came within $7 of it. Our minivan was loaded up for the long drive back to Washington – and I even met the actual real life Bob!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools