Topic

Justin Lichter has a new book…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Justin Lichter has a new book…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

Nice. Thanks for sharing! I will have to add this to my next book order…

David Ure

@familyguy

I have corresponded with Justin a few times and he is a super person, let alone an amazing trekker.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Thanks for the tip/link Dave, looks like a great book!

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Nice looking book. I'm ordering now.

Emil Gazda

@emilio

Locale: Southeast

Has any one had a chance to read this yet, what did you think? I'm curious and would've picked it up by now but there does not seem to be a digital version. Thanks

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Mine's still in the mail….He was supposed to receive the books last Monday (ie. Apr 31) so they should be arriving at USA doorsteps around now, but mine is coming to Canada so it'll likely be another week.

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Turns out that Justin works in ski patrol with a good friend of mine who was able to score a book for me. Signed by the author no less.

I've just started it, but the format is similar to Skurka's book. It will be interesting to see the similarities/differences between the two.

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

How does Justin's book compare to Andrew's ? Gear focus ? Very similar advice ?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

So what do you all think?

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

I've read both books and I already posted a comparison in another thread, which could probably be looked up if someone cared enough. It's been quite a few months now since I read these books, so my memory is fading.

With that said, they're very different books and both worth reading. The strongest points of Skurka's book are the information on trip planning (great section) and the gear advice. Lichter is a more traditional hiker than Skurka (ie. framed packs, tents, sleeping bags etc) and the gear discussion isn't as analytical/engaging, so most long-time hikers won't benefit too much.

The strongest point of Lichter's book is the information he gives on various hiking skills. This info is primarily in the final third ('advanced') section of the book and it includes some solid info on topics like navigation, water crossings etc. There some really good tips and well explained skills here.

To illustrate the difference, Skurka's book discusses WHY a map and compass is better than a GPS and advises on WHICH maps/compasses to use, while Lichter's book will tell you HOW to use the map and compass as it pertains to hiking.

Both books have a mix of awesome photos and generic ones. I'd like to see both authors improve this is future editions. Skurka could use less images that appear to be catalog pics from sponsors, while Lichter would benefit from reducing the number of pictures (20?) of him standing in a store holding up gear. Not a big deal, but these pictures sorta stand out like sore thumbs next to some of the awesome real adventure photos.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I hate it when I miss those one reply threads.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=65652

Anyone else have an opinion?

Ron Moak

@rmoak

Well Ken, if you don't already have a copy of Trail Tested, you should enter our contest and maybe you'll win a signed copy of the book. Details can be found at http://www.sixmoondesigns.com .

Ron

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools