Topic

The best warranties

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) The best warranties

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

I thought I would try to make a listing which people could add to of the best warranties that people have found from the actual companies. Where you can just send a product back and it is replaced with the same or similar if it fails or does not measure up even 5 years later. Still looking for the magical underwear warranty.

Darn Tough: socks

Outdoor Research: handwear, headwear, rainwear

Backcountry (Stoic): full line including wool

REI: full line

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

eb, lands end, ll bean, or, mec, etc …

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Kelty just repaired on of my packs for free, under warranty, this year. The pack is 41 years old.

nanook ofthenorth
    BPL Member

@nanookofthenorth

Patagonia, mec, kotatat (on Gore products), OR, MSR/Cascade Designed & Gore-tex – all go above and beyond.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

Sierra Designs. Replaced the fly for my discontinued Half Moon tent years back.
    MSR/Cascade Designs, free stove parts, exchange for defective mattress, stove pump.
    Duane

Stephan Doyle

@stephancal

Patagonia.

Edit: nanook beat be to it. Wanted to mention one that hadn't seen any love.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

:)

Andy Blackwell
    Spectator

@vash1012

Backcountry.com has a no questions asked return/replace policy. My windjacket zipper broke after well over a year. They refunded me my purchase price and I was able to buy the same jacket in a size that fit me better for less than I was refunded. That was pretty cool. I hear good things about ULA too.

Matthew Perry
    BPL Member

@bigfoot2

Locale: Hammock-NOT Tarptent!

Add Mora Knives to the list. Broke one of their knives and they had a new one (no charge!) to my door in 3 days….from Sweden to Oregon!

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Patagonia is okay but if they no longer make the exact same model/product you get credit that is based on a receipt or the lowest sale price the item existed at. Had a wool shirt from them that started to get holes after three months and since it was not being produced anymore they would not substitute a similar one being made currently and since I did not have my receipt I got credit at the lowest price it ever sold at which was way less than what I bought mine for. So not so much.

andrew brown

@abrown3mtg

Locale: High Rockies

Arc'teryx is actually amazing.

However, REI is fool proof. Don't even need a receipt as your member number tracks you purchases. And no matter what state you are in you're set. Buy in Minnesota, return in Colorado :-)

David Colbert
    BPL Member

@adkphoto

Locale: Central, New York

Outdoor Research calls theirs the "Infinite Guarantee." It's no lie.

REI and LL Bean are awesome.

I also found that WL Gore stands behind their guarantee.

Peace,

David

Ted E
    BPL Member

@mtn_nut

Locale: Morrison, CO

i have found that leatherman, black diamond, and OR have the great warranties. Snow peak has TERRIBLE customer service from my experiences when i contacted them with issues with one of their stoves that i owned.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Mountain Hardware and North Face and Patagonia- all California companies that have fixed everything for me over the last 15 years!

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Thanks for posting this folks, it reminded me to contact OR about a Jacket that has lost a lot of loft, they said they would replace it under warranty.

Sweet :-)

Ken K

@thefatboy

Locale: St. Louis

>>Kelty just repaired on of my packs for free, under warranty, this year. The pack is 41 years old.

Jansport just did the same for me but with a much younger pack (just 20 years old).

GSI replaced a brand new cook set with a better one because there was a very minor blemish in it. They took my word for it and told me if the other set was still usable to use it or pass it along to someone else.

MSR sent me a part (showerhead) for a bladder I never owned, just because I called to inquire if they still made it. They didn't, but they found one on a back shelf somewhere and sent it to me free!

You just can't put a price on that kind of service.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Cabela's warranty is just like REI's. I've had FULL refunds from them on 3 year old broken (sole) Danner hiking boots.

Their synthetic long john selection is the VERY best I've seen and the durabiltity is excellent.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools