Topic

Booby Traps on the Trail

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Booby Traps on the Trail

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5inG54b0Y8bVq_xVJKFXOoZyI_PAg?docId=9d8b06e0cfc2450a85756c763d5b7d1e

in brief: two young adults set up booby traps along a popular hiking trail in Provo Canyon, UT.

This is sickening. Another reason to go deeper into the wilderness and avoid areas within a few miles of trailheads? For some reason this hits me hard. I am a bit paranoid when camping in very populated areas, much more comfortable knowing there isn't another person for 25 miles.

I'd be interested to hear what the older and wiser people here have to say.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

That is sick. They had to know they could really hurt someone. I'd try and charge them with "assault with a deadly weapon." It might not stick but it would sure scare them and anyone else who might think about trying it.

On the positive side I really doubt this happens often at all so I wouldn't worry about it too much in the woods.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I think I saw this in a movie once, they made one to kill a wild boar. One of the main characters ended up getting accidentally impaled by it.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

They should test it. On each other.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

I respect the opinion of the officer who found them. Apparently they were dangerous.
    On the other hand traps like this are not super easy to make. I tried making snares and deadfalls a few times as a kid and they aren't easy to get right. So again I'm not too worried about weirdos booby trapping the trail. That said I'm all up for a BPL lynch mob. How about we post it under trip announcements:)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

>" am a bit paranoid when camping in very populated areas, "

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean the world isn't out to get you.

But seriously, the incidence of pathological behavior drops dramatically the further you get from the pavement. ESPECIALLY when the only thing out there is joy of the outdoors. When there's tasty game animals, you get a broader spectrum (the vast majority of whom are great people). When there's gold, diamonds, or pot; you get the other, undesireable end of the spectrum.

But when it's just a hiking trail – I've never had a problem with theft, and people have been amazingly helpful if you just ask.

Tyler H
    BPL Member

@ctwnwood

Locale: Madison

Also heard about this today on the radio.

I'm not even sure what to think about this. I've hiked on popular trails outside Spanish Fork, very near where this happened.

I have to agree though, when I get nervous in the backcountry it's not usually because of wildlife or natural danger, it's more to do with encountering people who are either "beliged" as we used to say, or sociopaths.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Heard from some friends that were in Caprock Canyons State Park (Texas) this weekend. They said a boy scout troop (had met a troop 87 earlier in day) was throwing something at them (at night) and hit one or two people in the face.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Last year in my medium size southern town, some teenagers glues razor blades to the playground equipment in the central park in town. They caught them, just some suburban kids being idiots. Little pathological if you ask me.

Jamie Estep

@jestep

Locale: ATX

I saw this on MSN a few days ago. From the pictures and description, this would have easily killed someone. I can't believe how little of a charge they're getting off with.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

"But when it's just a hiking trail – I've never had a problem with theft, and people have been amazingly helpful if you just ask."

It's sad but theft in the backcountry goes way back. In the 1970's some friends left their off-trail campsite to climb a mountain, pretty far in. They returned to find the campsite ransacked and most everything of value missing. The saw only one additional set of tire tracks near the trailhead (they took photos but they were of no help to the police).

But that's the only case of trail theft I or my friends have experienced.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Luke is right, getting the trigger mechanism right for the trip wire wouldn't be the easiest thing in the world with how heavy the spiked ball was.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools