Topic

The Perils of Certainty

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The Perils of Certainty

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

" "Good" compasses get air bubbles?"

Not normally. However, I have had some really expensive compasses that got flexed or stepped on or otherwise abused, and the liquid capsule got torqued enough that an air bubble grew in there.

Currently, I don't use any compasses much while backpacking, but I carry one small one just to avoid the embarrassment of getting lost someday.

Remember, thirty years ago that compass skill was a big deal.

–B.G.–

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

I've encountered this on Ebay. Some sellers relate that compasses that get shipped via Airmail develop bubbles.All I can say is that stuff I bought on the ground in China eventually developed bubbles.I can't say for sure if it was after I flew home? There is also a tendency of wrist compasses on watchbands to tend to orient towards your watch. Very unnerving if you haven't tested things out in a known environment. Also look at Suunto totally dropping the Clipper which has at least 3 generic versions vs . their M-9 at a much higher price point. When in doubt maybe 2 compasses and isolate at least 1 away from your watch or anything metal camera etc? My current plan.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

My "good" compass doesn't have liquid in it. Maybe liquid compasses are "not so good?"

:)

John Nausieda
    BPL Member

@meander

Locale: PNW

Probably , but then those who dive are in a much bigger fix? That being darkness and dwindling time?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Once in Colorado we found a compass that was perfectly backwards. The red end of the needle pointed south when it was supposed to point north. I kept it hidden when I was doing compass courses with kids. I was going to give it to some poor kid but I never felt mean enough. I think it was an error in the painting because it was always 180 degrees off.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I once had one of those 'broken' gps's showing me to be moving in the opposite direction of what I knew to be true…. As well as a fair share of maps with 'misprints'….

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Ken,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Like some the of the others, I've also had this happen to me. :)

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

I've witnessed this happen before where people ignore their GPS, or the location of the sun, because they are certain they know which direction they're going. My husband was so sure on a trip last winter that he ignored me telling him we were headed North instead of South for a half hour, until he finally said to me, "We're going the wrong way, aren't we?". Haha. Myself, I have one of the worst senses of direction ever, so I use a GPS or compass always.

chris Nelson

@nel250

Locale: San Francisco

Thanks for sharing the story.

Just a month a go in Emigrant I tried to take a "Short cut" it was only a 1/4 mile or so off trail but took me over an hour to realize I was off course and find my way back to the trail.

So I totaly agree with Cameron
    “Short cuts make for long delays.”

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools