Topic

Material for Hammock Strap

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Material for Hammock Strap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jay sprowls

@jaysprowls

Plan to DIY a hammock in my backyard. But which material is suitable for hammock strap, nylon webbing, Tubular Webbing, Cotton Webbing, or others? Any suggestions?

I like the hammock in my friend's backyard:hammock from my friend's home

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

You can find most of the items needed at this site.

http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/

I think the lightest materials to use are 7/64" amsteel dyneema cord on the hammock and tie it off to polyster webbing that wraps around the trees.

Hammock suspension a big subject, and you can find a million answers on Hammock Forums.

Kristofer McKenna

@kryoshift

Locale: North Texas

I got my whoopie sling setup from arrowhead, speedy service.

and I love how light/strong the amsteel stuff is, too :) My little Grand Trunk Nano 7 weighs 6 oz with the slings installed.

Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Is the backyard, the park, or car camping the only use?

If so, you do not need UL suspension straps. You could use polyester, cam buckle tie down straps. Read the label for the strap material and strap strength. Nylon straps stretch is why polyester is preferred. The bursting strength should be over a thousand pounds or show a working load of more than 330 pounds. Someone has decided that the working load is exactly a third of the bursting load.

On second thought, the tubular webbing is okay, but there is no reason to buy more of it for this use. Buy the woven polyester straps if you are going to buy something.

To reduce the UV degradation of the hammock and straps, put up and take down the hammock each day. With the right design and hardware it will take twice as long as hanging one towell on a hook, a very short time.

If you watch the prices on Grand Trunk Ultralight hammocks at Amazon.com, you might see one for 15-16 dollars (usually $20) with free shipping over $25 dollars. That first price is about the cost of the fabric, but if you MYOG, you will get to practice your sewing and have pride in what you made from scratch.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools