Topic

Really thin socks

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Really thin socks

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

You all know that Mike C! is an advocate of "thinny-thin" socks. The new minimal shoes (not the toe-y ones) also do well with really thin socks. And if you're fording many streams, really thin socks help things dry quickly.

I haven't seen it posted anywhere, but cycling socks are great "thinny-thin" socks. Most are made of nylon, although wool is available (not quite as thin). The nylon ones come in a huge assortment of designs, colors and heights.

Just as an example of what's out there, here's a link to 8 pages of men's cycling socks:

http://www.sockguy.com/Category/9_1/Socks.aspx

(I have no connection with the company)

Cycling socks are widely available at cycling shops, and can often be found on sale on the web. And the nylon ones last forever!

Cheers!

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

The only socks I ever wear hiking are thin liner socks. You can usually get these for no more than $6-$7 a pair. For instance, the Wigwam Gobi liners that I prefer are $7 a pair at REI and $6 or less at several other stores. If you're okay with cheapo dress socks from Target or somewhere, you can probably pay even less.

The thing with thin socks is that they never last long anyway, so way pay more than you have to?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

I have some of these socks that are over 10 years old and still in good shape. My experience is that they last a long time!

But the real draw, of course, is the cool graphics! You'll never find liner socks with a beer mug on the ankle!!! ;)

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

Stephen,
    This is a very timely post, i also discovered cycling socks recently. $5 for Pearl Izumi socks at REI, super thin. They worked well for my Grand Canyon run recently. I've worn those "liners" before but they were always long, coming clear up onto the calf. I havent been wearing these long so its good to hear you say they are very durable. That makes them even better than I thought! For anything under 15 miles then I prefer no sock, but longer than that and these are my choice now. Those cheap dress socks worked fine too but they were not durable and not short enough. My two cents.

Adan

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I just buy the thinnest, lightest running socks I can find that still have a little cuff. Polyester dries MUCH quicker than wool. Although I think wool is slightly more comfortable. Defeet wool-e-ator cycling socks. I use both.

I have taken to wearing my wool hiking socks to the gym too. They get worn ~10 times (3 wks) between washing, and dont smell, break down, or lose sponginess (is that a word?). Although our little dog seems to search them out in my gym bag and I find her chewing on them occassionally. These socks are top notch.

Neil McGee
    Spectator

@thegreatclod

Locale: Northeast, East Asia

Darn Tough Merino Mesh do the trick for me. A blend of merino wool and polyester, I believe. Not your cheapest option, but they are super comfortable in my trail runners on long hikes.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Timely post for me. I'm the opposite: I like well cushioned ("spongy") socks for backpacking but find merino wool blends too warm, causing sweat and probably blisters for my hydrophobic feet. This was proved once again last weekend when I tried the oh-so-comfy rei merino wool blend socks (they don't seem to sell non-wool hiking socks anymore!) and proceeded to sweat them out in a two hour hike. Bridgedale has been my go-to sock for years; I guess I'll go on-line now that rei doesn't stock them. They have no wool in them! Thank God! This is just a little anti-merino wool in action rant; I love the stuff when I'm sitting still but top or bottom I sweat way too much when I'm active with merino on.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"I love the stuff when I'm sitting still but top or bottom I sweat way too much when I'm active with merino on."

You do know you're supposed to remove it from the sheep first, right?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"You do know you're supposed to remove it from the sheep first, right?"

_Now_ you tell me. That could explain a few things.

–B.G.–

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

Swiftwicks have impressed me. I used to be a big fan of the smartwool running socks but they were a gigantic dissapointment wearing thin sooooooo quickly.

Patrick Matte
    BPL Member

@jpmatte

Swiftwicks have impressed me. I used to be a big fan of the smartwool running socks but they were a gigantic dissapointment wearing thin sooooooo quickly.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Maybe I should re-phrase things a bit: whether I'm wearing a merino shirt or merino blend socks, I tend to sweat more than I'd like to when pursuing outdoor activities, none of which involve actual sheep.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Good to know no sheep were involved in an any sweaty activities.

I personally dont find any relationship between moisture and blisters. But then again, I only use thin socks and trail runners.

Last trip we did 30 miles with feet wet the whole time for 17 hrs of hiking, 15 miles per day. Over several steep mountains. 30+ water crossings. Feet were happy feet, in loose trail runners, with light packs. Boooyah.

only time I had minor discomfort was when a small BB sized rock got in a shoe and under my foot during a water crossing

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Reading a book titled Fixing Your Feet confirmed for me that there's a huge variety of individual responses to factors that affect people's feet. The book contains a lot of interviews with ultra marathoners as well as long distance backpackers. Their responses about how to prevent blisters, for example, vary wildly. And so too their responses about most foot related issues. Bottom line: you have to find out what works for you for yourself; always listening to helpful input from others. Takes more time, but what else have I go to do with my life?

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

Defeet wool-e-ator cycling socks. Anyone know the weight of these socks?

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

DeFeet Wolleator socks, size L: 1.7 oz, 48 g

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

If you are cheap (like me) you can buy nylon dress socks from Wal-Mart for $5.50 for 3 pairs. If you prefer polyester they have some Starter brand performance socks in various lengths (tab, low, ankle, crew) which I think run about $5 for 3. That is what I use and I really like them.

Patrick Kelley

@pwkelley

Locale: Central Illinois

I have run and biked in DeFeet Aireator socks for years and have recently started hiking in them as well. They are a really thin polyester blend, dry quickly, look good (fun graphics) and wear like iron. If you like a thin sock you really can't do much better than these.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Of all places to find hiking gear (re: socks) I have had great success with J. C. Penny's house brand.

They are low cut, tab style, hiking shoe sock liner style. These socks are completely synthetic. I have walked them dry and have hung them up to dry overnight without any problems.

The best feature of these socks is that you get 4 pair for $10.00 everyday at J. C. Penny's.

Party On,

Newton

Paul Hatfield
    BPL Member

@clear_blue_skies

My local Walmart carried 3-packs of these about 2 years ago for about $6 or $7 (and they work great), but I couldn't find any cotton-free socks the last time that I looked:

Hanes
    Casuals Stretch Better Fit
    8 – 12 women's
    98% polyester, 1% spandex, 1% natural latex rubber

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

The best really thin socks for my feet are Injinji toe socks made of coolmax. They don't wear particularly well, but i can get at a least 30 solid days hiking per pair.

If I am running, I wear a single pair. If I am hiking I wear 2 pain (yes, one on top of the other). And in essentially the same shoe.

With one pair running (up to half marathon distance) no blisters in 5 years.
    With two pair hiking/backpacking, up to 42 miles per day, no blisters in 5 years.

Ty Ty

@tylerd

Locale: SE US

Paul – I was at Wal-Mart last night and this thread reminded me I wanted some ankle length socks. All WM's I have been to have these socks, they are Starter Dri-Star, they are 98% polyester 2% spandex. They have them in brown/tan, grey, and black and in ankle tab, low cut, ankle, and crew lengths. I think they run $5 for 3 pairs.

In the past couple months I have had several 8-10 mile days, one 15 mile day, then several 4-5 mile days plus probably a dozen 1-3 mile jogs in one of three pairs of the crew length socks like this I have and you really can't tell they have been used.

I am not a big believer of paying several times more for clothes, I think the majority of what you are paying for with clothing is the brand name. Especially when it comes to synthetic materials like polyester. Polyester is a really cheap fabric it has only recently been re-purposed and re-branded with all these flashy terms and brands.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

The Dristar socks are too thick for me, I have a bunch of these and I cant wear them. They seem hotter and wick less than regular cotton for me, even in the office. Thin dress socks are not as bad but they also seem to wick poorly for me. the $5 Pearl Izumi cycling socks are a good balance of performance, durability and value. Somebody recently posted that foot care is very individual, I agree with that.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools