Topic

Long sleeve shirt for SOBO PCT 2012 hike!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Long sleeve shirt for SOBO PCT 2012 hike!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    clint gorbett

@clintg

I'm considering picking up the golite parapoa but the internet is almost completely void of reviews. I have heard the ex-officio air strip shirt has short sleeves and I am a lanky 6'4". What shirts have you guys had experience with?

Larry M
    BPL Member

@maethros

Locale: Mid South

Patagonia Sol Patrol.

John Mc
    BPL Member

@retiredjohn

Locale: PNW

Railrider Eco-Mesh

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

I wore a white Golite long sleeve Baselayer shirt border to border. I believe it called a BL-1. (It was size large and weghs 5.2 oz.) This shirt survived the entire trip, though it ceased to be white about Warner Springs. I had bought two of these so hopefully I will be wearing this short for a long while.

clint gorbett

@clintg

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

I'm pretty sure the BL-1 became the Manitou Hiking Shirt – they are about same weight and are constructed from the same materials.

http://www.golite.com/Ms-Manitou-Longsleeve-Hiking-Top-P46760.aspx

I've also heard very good things about the railrider's eco-mesh shirts (then again, you could have 3 of the golite shirts for same price if you use the extra 20% off coupon).

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I like the Exofficio Trip'r shirts, similar to the Airstrip but without the big ol' chest pockets. I'm 6'1" and the medium fits well. Can be had for a good deal through Sierra Trading Post, especially with a 30% coupon

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/exoffico-super-trip%E2%80%99r-shirt-upf-30-plus–long-sleeve-for-men~p~4037a/?filterString=s~exofficio-trip%2F&colorFamily=01

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Larry: I'm looking for a sun shirt. Anything more to add about the Sol Patrol? I'm especially interested in its ventilation, or lack thereof Thanks!

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

I've been happy with whatever light (no cotton) long sleeved hiking shirt that I find on sale at REI. Once I found one with a checked pattern, which I liked given that most hiking shirts are solid colored "obviously a hiking shirt" type.

I don't think it's that big a deal. A much bigger deal is going SOBO on the PCT this year. I live in WA state and earlier in the season it was looking like a modest snow year, but we got a lot in March so that now we're well above average for snowpack. So unless you have the requisite experience and logistics to go the pace implied by that, or perhaps you plan to flip at least once … I'd guess it could be a tougher go this year than usual.

I'm not saying it's not do-able; I did the CDT SOBO last year, and it was quite a high snow year there too. The additional issues you'll face above and beyond those normal to a thru-hike in terms of slower going, possible avalanche hazard, creek crossings, navigation challenges … best of luck anyway. Last year my initial hiking partner nearly lost his life in a creek crossing on literally our second day on trail.

I hope that you report back after the fact and let us know how it worked out for you.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I haven't found much of a difference between my various Columbia, REI and Railrider Ecomesh shirts.

I am starting to favor an actual cuff because I can unbutton it and let the cuffs cover my hands so they don't get sunburned.

One thing I'd look for in a new shirt is permithrin to keep ticks at bay. If you already have permithrin, you can treat it yourself, but it's somewhat expensive if you don't.

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

"One thing I'd look for in a new shirt is permithrin to keep ticks at bay. If you already have permithrin, you can treat it yourself, but it's somewhat expensive if you don't."

+1 on this. You can buy a Gallon of Hotshot bedbug killer for about $12. It will be enough to do all your clothing, shoes etc for your trip. It kept the critters off my for about a month before needing another shot.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

Columbia PFG gear shirts, long sleeve. Good poly with wicking properties, lightweight, comfortable and blocks sun.. Snap front has good mesh ventilation in back.

clint gorbett

@clintg

Thanks for the info, and yeah if it's going to be a problem we will simply start farther south and finish the north sections we skipped later if we felt like it.

Brian Lewis

@brianle

Locale: Pacific NW

"One thing I'd look for in a new shirt is permithrin to keep ticks at bay. If you already have permithrin, you can treat it yourself, but it's somewhat expensive if you don't."

I had mailed such a shirt to myself to start the Sierras on the PCT in '08, but then noticed a post somewhere from someone that talked about getting a rash. Then I heard about someone on-trail who had also got a rash on his back from such a shirt. So I mailed it home, and stuck with a regular shirt. Life was fine without it; a good part of the way thru-hikers deal with bugs is by not taking breaks. They're typically a lot less bothersome if you can just keep moving.

I am NOT positive that the permetherim is/was a problem, but I would pay less attention to folks that have worn such a shirt on a week or less outing to someone who's worn it constantly for weeks or months on end — if you can find someone like that to talk to. Perhaps it also has to do with individual body chemistry too, dunno.

In any event, for long distance backpacking I'm now un-interested in this approach. I still have the shirt, still unused; maybe I'll remember to wear it on a shorter buggy trip sometime.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I wore permithrin treated shirts continuously for 2 months in 2010 and 3 months in 2011. I've also used it on shorter trips.

I tend to treat my clothing more heavily where I think it will make a bigger difference. That is at the bottom of my pants, bottom of shirt and sleeves. I also put some on my pack so that ticks that catch a ride on my pack will die before crawling around to me.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

After some research just picked up the Mountain Hardwear Canyons shirt. Check out the reviews. I've always hiked in a capilene base. Suddenly I like the idea of an spf 30 sunshirt that is well ventilated under the arms, with a large collar that can be flipped up for sun protection, and that will repel mosquitoes far better than capilene. Although I'll probably treat this shirt with permethrin if it works as well as I hope next week on this year's inaugural Sierra backpack!

Or I might find that it's just too sweaty, as I want to use this shirt as a base-layer, with nothing underneath, instead of my capilene base. We'll see.

clint gorbett

@clintg

I ended up getting the Exofficio Reef runner LT. I ordered it in a medium because I'm very lanky though it still has 36" arms and a more slim fit for me. I'll post back with a review after I have taken it on a few extended trips over these next 2 or so months until I leave. Also, my Zimmerbuilt pack is arriving tomorrow, I will make sure to review it before and after the PCT.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools