Topic

Reasonable PPPD for my kid (11 yr old, 4’6″, 80#)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Reasonable PPPD for my kid (11 yr old, 4’6″, 80#)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Doing a short trip this weekend with my middle daughter. She's small, but very athletic (gymnast). Verging on puberty. Wondering how many pounds per day I should plan.

We'll cover, at most, 28 miles over 2.5 days. Weather predicted mid 60s, low-ish elevation (~1700'), rolling trail. She's been backpacking before, but not quite this long. And I wasn't planning food quite as carefully the last time she went.

I 've been doing Mike C!s 1.4# PPPD with good results, avg about 125 Cal/oz. Normal dinner time at home, I'd say Miriam eats ~2/3 the portion I do, but prob. snacks more between meals (tho' mostly fruit and yogurt type stuff–not very caloric).

At a guess, I'm thinking a pound per day for her, maybe a bit less. She'll be carrying her food, so minimizing weight (without her feeling hungry) is a consideration.

Reasonable?

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I agree this is a good average, but it depends so much on the stage of the kid in my experience. When my kids are in a spurt, they will easily eat 2lbs.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

You need to put her on "trail food" for a day before you do any trips – a day when she is running around, say a long dayhike, and see just how much she eats. Then pack more snacks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools