Topic

Bag idea???

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bag idea???

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I just thought of a possibility for a new quilt, or bag design.

I am looking at incorporating a bag with much better water resistance by incorporating a bivy into the quilt without using any extra material than the bag itself.
    The material used will be Momentum 90, a single layer of prequilted Primaloft, and 800+ down.

Here is my idea.
    I am looking at adding baffles to connect the prequilted Primaloft to the bottom piece of fabric.
    When the down is added it will be under the prequilt.
    This will make the top piece of fabric free of seams.

I'm not sure if it will work.
    Does any one know if the down will penetrate the prequilted Primaloft or not, or will the prequilt prevent the down from fully lofting?

This will quilt will also incorprate the pad on the inside in order to have the pad meet up with the the quilt without any dead air spots between the 2.
    I'm looking at 14 ounces for everthing and be able to take it down to 32* with clothing.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Aaron,

How long does it have to last?

What size do you want it to be?

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Aaron,
    Do it. That's the only way to know.
    1) Down plumules will not penetrate the Primaloft, but some quills may. But that won't matter; quills don't insulate.
    2) Yes, the PL on top may limit the loft of the down somewhat. Any weight on the down will tend to compress it. However, if you use a 'space filler' cut for the inside fabric, the down will loft downward, and the weight of the PL will not be much of a problem. To achieve a space-filler cut, just make the bottom shell the same width as the PL. That should work out OK.
    3) Have you considered using only PL? You can get to 32F pretty easily with PL alone. With PL and, say 1.5" baffles for the down, you may have more insulation than you want. You might want to play with the insulating capacities of PL and down to figure the optimum.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Bill,
    Oh thanks, so now I'm in the disposable gear making process. No, this is not for the JMT attempt.
    I could always use some fabric backing to hold it all together.

Size:
    I rarely move when I sleep.
    The bag will not be separate, it will just have separate sizes from top to bottom of the hands and bottom on down.
    Top will be 40" X 45" (W-H)
    Bottom tapering 32" to 24" X 45" (W-H)

This gives me 3060 square inches and 5 ounces for the fabric.
    There will also be about 1.5 ounces of fabric on the bottom that will be sewn to the inside of the bag, (where the down would end), loose, (to be able to climb in), with adjustable straps to tighten, (and also doubles as the bottom part of the bivy to retain heat). A GG 1/8" pad will also run from my feet to the top of my seat and will also curve around the sides a little to minimize dead air space.
    A separate 1/8" GG pad will also go from the bottom of my seat to top of my torso and will have a slight overlap of the insulation to also keep from loosing dead air space.

The Prequilt alone will be 4.2 ounces.
    If I was to add a layer of Climashield I would have another 6 ounces.
    I still don't think that would keep me warm enough.

If the down just covered enough to rest under the edges of my body, 4 ounces would give me at least 1 1/3" of loft by its self.
    I would like to think that this would be warmer than the .75" from the Climashield.

The total product weight, minus the pads come to 14.6 ounces.

With a little bit of reshaping and cutting corners, it could get down to 14 easily enough.

The whole idea behind this is that it incorporates a bivy into the system. Having this system with a super-lite Cuben tarp and you have a very light bag-tarp-bivy combo.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Aaron,
    What do you think the pre-quilted 1.8oz Primaloft One will weight per sq yard? The pre-quilting adds some extra weight. It will be more than 1.8 oz. per sq yard.

I am trying to come up with your numbers on weight but can't.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

O.K.,
    I changed it, but still have the same finish result.
    I had no idea the Prequilt was more than 1.8 ounces.

I have,
    Fabric: 6.5 oz
    Prequilt: 4.2 oz (3060 square inches = 2.36 yrds X 1.8)
    Down: 4 oz

mark henley

@flash582

According to AYCE at Thru-hiker.com, the prequilted 1.8 oz basis weight Primaloft P1 is 2.2 oz per sq yd with the scrim attached.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

The weight just keeps adding up.

Another ounce for the Prequilt, and I will want the down loft to be 1 1/2", but were still looking at under a pound for the combo.

Thanks for the info.
    I'll be making this soon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools