Topic

Material for Primaloft quilting

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Material for Primaloft quilting

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Aldis Behmanis

@alfs29

Hello,
    I have read tons of materials but could not get a clear view what material do i have to choose to make Primaloft quilt.
    I understand that Pertex Quantum is a good stuff but i have my needs:
    1) This quilt will button in for my hunting clothing and therefore i cannot accept any nylon style noises. Jacket and pant will be made from (listing outside to inside) Polartec WindPro + Classic 300 + Primaloft One 5oz quilt when needed.
    2) As it goes next to my base layer it should not block perspiration to escape and dry fast.

So if put together in short words – Quiet, breathable, dawn proof as required by Primaloft.

Maybe Ti Goat 7D or 8D? aren't those noisy?

Guys, please help …. :(

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Why do you want to use Primaloft rather than Climashield Apex?

Ozzy McKinney
    Spectator

@porcupinephobia

Locale: PNW

I'm sure sure I totally understand the application, but I can tell you 7d is in no way noisy. A really cool material.

would silks work? cheap and quiet.

will sawyer

@wjsawyer

Locale: Connecticut

again, I am a bit confused as to how you will be using this. That being said, I recently finished a quilt out of Primaloft One and 4.5mm habotai silk and it is silent. If I were making any kind of garment this is the fabric that I would want in it.

Aldis Behmanis

@alfs29

David, I choose or considering Primaloft One over Climashield Apex because of higher CLO 0.92 vs 0.82 and Primaloft One being thinner that Climashiels Apex. Thickness is not important for sleeping bags, but i cannot move around during hunting like fat snowman :)
    But from what i have read then Climashield is much easier to work with … that is a point worth considering also.

Aldis Behmanis

@alfs29

Will, Ozzy
    I have no experience working with (using) silk in terms of how it performs. How fast does it dry? How good it breathes when it's in down proof thickness/density? Doesn't silk when wet give you damp feeling? What i mean i doesn't it feel like wet cotton t-shirt sticking to your skin etc …. yuck ?

So, what will it be? Silk? (what silk exactly), SevenD (100% nylon and not noisy???? i'm worried) ? Coolmax liner? Something else?

http://www.titaniumgoat.com/SevenD.html
    https://www.fabricline.com/searchResults.php?a=1&keywordSearch=coolmax

Aldis Behmanis

@alfs29

Common guys …. help me please

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I used 8D for sleeping bag liner – very comfortable – quiet – cheap – almost as lightweight as 7D.

I think your logic about One being lighter for the same warmth is correct – but it'll just save less than an ounce so maybe it's not that important. If it requires more quilting, and where the quilting is it will be thinner so less warmth, so you will lose some of the warmth advantage.

Maybe you could ignore the quilting requirement. I have a small amount of One and the fibers go mostly in one direction, along the roll of insulation. So you could have the fibers running down from the top of the vest. There wouldn't be a lot of force pulling the fibers sideways in their weak direction.

But, maybe why screw with it – just use Apex even if your finished vest weighs 1/2 extra ounce.

Aldis Behmanis

@alfs29

Ok, lets say i will go with Apex. What lener material is best to choose? What about silk? Is it really breathable and does it dry fast? Maybe i should choose something else? Polartec PowerDry for example?

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

I listed some of the pros & cons of silk and 7d/8d IMO. Personally, I would go with 7d if you can afford it, if not 8d.

4.5mm-5mm silk
    – is very breathable and light
    – not as durable as 7d/8d
    – dries fast
    – cheap

7d/8d
    – not as breathable as the above, but no slouch. 8d more breathable than 7d.
    – 8d not quite as cheap as silk, 7d much more expensive
    – feels much better on the skin(important for the liner in a quilt)

Ryan

Aldis Behmanis

@alfs29

Ryan, what do you think about noise each of those materials make? Will 7d be quiet as fleece fabric or silk?
    And will 4.5-5mm silk be down proof? Primaloft requires lining to be down proof. My guess is that during machine washing individual fibers might start to go through liner if it is not dense enough.

Which material feels better to skin? 7d better than silk?
    Why would you choose 7d over 8d? I didnt get your point, sorry for beeing such annoying noob ;)

Aldis Behmanis

@alfs29

Guys please post more considerations and personal expierience. Thanks ;)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools