Topic

Osprey Catching fish

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Fishing & Tenkara Osprey Catching fish

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I thought this was cool enough to post- regardless if it isn't about hiking

Osprey Fishing

Incase the link doesn't work:
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=nA3LtXnNIto%3Ffeature%3Dplayer_embedded

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

One word. Awesome!

Anonymous
    Inactive

That is one powerful bird. At first I didn't quite trust my eyes when he hauled that salmon out of the water. What a magnificent bird.

Tad Englund
    BPL Member

@bestbuilder

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I especially liked the way he "surfed" the fish in the air, one leg behind the other.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

That's a great video. On the third fish, notice how it worked at shifting it's grip to carry it in a more aerodynamic fore/aft position … not unusual.

MN and western WI BPLers might enjoy The Raptor Center's spring public release event:
    11:00am – 2:00pm, Saturday May 5
    Hyland Lake Park Reserve, 10145 Bush Lake Road, Bloomington, MN

In addition to releasing whatever patients that are ready to return to the wild there will be falcons, owls, hawks and bald eagles to be seen up close and personal.

Look for me if you come.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"In addition to releasing whatever patients that are ready to return to the wild there will be falcons, owls, hawks and bald eagles to be seen up close and personal."

Warning: Leave your Chihuahuas and Toy Poodles at home.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"I especially liked the way he "surfed" the fish in the air, one leg behind the other."

Yes. From beginning to end, I was entranced at watching a creature so completely tuned in to its body. He had to get everything just right in each instance to execute not just the kill, but the getaway. A master of applied physics, if ever there was one.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Warning: Leave your Chihuahuas and Toy Poodles at home.

Pardon my key omission … no pets of any size, PLEASE. But that's not for the safety of the pets.

The patients that will be released are fully wild birds and tend to "get out of Dodge" as soon as released. It's highly unlikely they'll hunt anywhere near the crowd of large predators the public releases attract (that'll be us).

The other birds are former patients that could not be rehabilitated to 100% functionality. They will be tethered at all times.

Steve Robinson
    BPL Member

@jeannie-2

Thanks!!!!!!

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

That's an amazing (high quality) video!

Once again, not light weight backpacking but I was out fishing with my son who took this video of a Hungry Eagle

We noticed the Eagle began watching us after we anchored our boat and started fishing. Every time we got a fish on it started to squawk at us.

Sean Rhoades

@kingpin

Locale: WV

Haha, so cool. Reminds me of somewhere I read about a guy who was followed around the local lake everytime he fished by a Heron. He occasionally threw the bird a fish or two.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools