Topic

CT fire restrictions and stove selection

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning CT fire restrictions and stove selection

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Randy Nelson
    BPL Member

@rlnunix

Locale: Rockies

Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone coming in to do the CT.

This looks to be a rough yeah for fire danger in Colorado. The first 3 segments of the CT run through Jefferson County which is currently under a fire ban. We've got some moisture since the ban was implemented but not enough to lift it. If we don't get more, other bans may follow. You currently can't legally use wood, esbit, or alcohol stoves. The official statement on exceptions says:

Any fires contained within liquid fueled or gas fueled stoves.

Sounds like a alky stove would be OK but I clarified it with the Sheriff's office and they say any stove used must have an off switch which is the way the NFS words it when they issue a ban. Interesting, there is not a fire ban issued by the NFS. They told me that means that rangers won't issue tickets for violations, only the sheriff will.

And no campfires, of course.

I know this goes without saying, particularly on here, but please be fire safe. The recent fire, caused by a prescribed burn that flared up, was only a couple of miles from the CT. 3 people died and 43 homes were lost. So please be careful. And have a good time on your thru.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools