Topic

Sierra High Route + Bushbuddy

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Sierra High Route + Bushbuddy

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Mary R
    BPL Member

@pietimer

Hey all,
    I'm planning on hiking a section of the SHR in early September (Devil's post-pile to Yosemite). From various pictures I've found on the internet, there are mostly rocks, lakes, and more rocks–very few trees. I'm concerned about the availability of fuel for a bushbuddy stove. I know I can bring some esbit tablets for backup, but I wouldn't want to be cooking with them every night. To those who have been in this area, is this a valid concern?
    Thanks.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Mary,

I haven't done the SHR, but anything above 10,000 wood starts to get scarce. A lot of places have wood fire restrictions starting at 9600; 10,000; or 10;400, depending on the area. Some popular areas have fire bans at much lower elevations. It's worth checking what the restrictions are and comparing those to your planned camp locations.

There's also an ethical consideration at higher elevations. Wood takes years and years to grow. Even if there aren't any restrictions, I generally won't plan on having a wood fire above 10,000'.

HJ
    Adventures in Stoving

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

you won't be having much luck using that stove… like the others are saying, as you hit 10,000 feet, fires are prohibited. With the vast majority of the route at or above this elevation, you will be out of luck. From my trip last year, there is really no fuel at those elevations. Probably the best bang for the buck is the smaller cannister stoves. Easy to use, long lasting, and easy to get at re-supply, I used one cannister for 8 days last year on the SHR. there are other choices, so do your research and enjoy the opportunity to try another method and some different gear….

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"Easy to use, long lasting, and easy to get at re-supply, I used one cannister for 8 days last year on the SHR."

What size? 4 ounce net or 8 ounce net?

–B.G.–

Steve S

@idahosteve

Locale: Idaho

the 4 oz net. I used a Wally world IMUSA mug, and made a cozy for it. Worked really well! Kept food and liquid really hot while the meal re-hydrated. Used the stove every morning except one, and every evening.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools