Topic

lighter hammock makers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping lighter hammock makers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Joe L
    BPL Member

@heyyou

Locale: Cutting brush off of the Arizona Tr

Recently noticed a hammock maker with some intentionally lighter products. Butt In A Sling (BIAS) is marketing a couple of hammocks designed to be light. I have no experience with their products.

Papa Smurf has expanded to a business name of Dream Hammocks. When I bought from him, he was very helpful about building me a light setup. You won't notice that from his current website, so just ask there.

Most other makers will probably help if you ask for lightness.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for posting that…BIAS looks like they have some products to consider. I really like hammocks when I backpack but have been on the lookout for a lighter option. I transitioned from a Speer to a Grand Trunk Ultralight to the Grand Trunk Nano 7. I've been pretty comfortable in the smaller GT hammocks, but may think about trying one of the BIAS models.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

as I have decided to give the hammocking way another go. The enthusiasm on hammockforums for the BIAS hammocks seems very favorable.

Kristofer McKenna

@kryoshift

Locale: North Texas

I'm cutting it a little close on the micro's weight limit of 225lbs. But it's bigger than my Grand Trunk Nano 7, and weighs less o.O

And I love that company name lol!

Brian Blackley

@biasbrian

Locale: West Tennessee

Disclosure: I am with http://www.buttinasling.com

We're new to the game… Started up in February with the goal of making light gear. Our experiences are primarily from trying to lighten our kayak loads on long trips.

The point of the post is to let you guys know we're available to answer questions about our products and say that we can and will make customs… if there's something specific you want, we'll do our best to create it and keep costs down. Our prices are very, very low because we work hard for our money and expect you do, too.

We've done well early on. We ship fairly quickly and at this point; none of our U.S. orders have taken more than seven days from order to doorstep (including shipping time). Our gear is pretty simple. We don't add a lot of bells and whistles and "wow" factor to our hammocks because we want them to be light.

Three lines of hammocks, at this point. All weights include bags, channel cord (AmSteel continuous loops). Each hammock comes with a 9-foot ridgeline:
    Weight Weenie – 11 feet long, 62 inches wide, weighs about 8 oz.
    Weight Weenie Micro – 11 feet long, choice of widths, 52-inch wide model weighs about 6 oz.
    Camper Hammock – 11 feet long, 58 inches wide, weighs about 12 ounces.

We also carry some suspension kits and options… again, lightweight is our focus. We recommend toggles, straps and whoopies rather than heavier biners. Bugnets are coming soon. Probably within the week.

I'll stop now. Thanks and we we look forward to serving you guys. Holler at us anytime.

Brian
    http://www.buttinasling.com

Cody Lebow

@clebow

Locale: Orange County

Very cool, much much lighter than my dads Hennessy. My girlfriend wanted to try hammock sleeping but was turned off by the weight. Looks like I'll be ordering one for her when you guys come out with the bugnet. Any chance of you guys making some sort of hammock chair? That's something I would like to see.

Brian Blackley

@biasbrian

It's on the list, but it may be a while before we get there. We've got nets launching in the next 7 days, followed by prototyping tarps and a bridge hammock.

Anyway, thanks and we look forward to serving you guys.

— Brian, http://www.buttinasling.com

David Colbert
    BPL Member

@adkphoto

Locale: Central, New York

I have one of the Butt In A Sling Weight Weenie hammocks that Brian and Shane customized for me. It's an awesome hammock. Very light and very well made. My experience working with the BIAS guys is top notch and I would have no qualms recommending them.

As to hammocks with built-nets…my personal preference is to have a separate bug net because it is lighter and more versatile (the bug net can be used when and if you need it).

Here's a comparison of weights of my hammocks:
    BIAS Weight Weenie with whoopie slings and tree straps: 11 oz
    Wilderness Logics zippered bug net: 8 oz

Warbonnet Blackbird with double 1.0 bottom and integrated bug net, whoopies, and tree straps: 25 oz

You can get lighter bug nets by making your own without a zipper. You can also get a lighter Blackbird with a single layer of 1.1 oz fabric on the bottom (but then you'd be susceptible to mosquitos).

David

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Cody said:
    "Any chance of you guys making some sort of hammock chair? That's something I would like to see."

One commercially available hammock chair is at Arrowhead Equipment

Another DIY version that doubles as an underquilt was shown in this thread on Hammockforums . Make sure you click on the attached pictures and scroll down to see it as an underquilt. Very cool in my opinion.

Edit:
    Happened across one more here at Treklightgear , though it's as heavy as some of the full sized BIAS hammocks. :(

Shane Waits

@tncamper

I've thought about maybe getting into prototyping some "chairs" but I've been hesitant to mention it to Brian. We're waiting on a review on a bugnet we sent off last week and once that gets going maybe moving onto tarps. But, we don't want to be in such a hurry that quality takes a second seat. I would rather put a quality product out than just getting something out.

Shane

diego dean
    BPL Member

@cfionthefly

Id definately like to see a light weight bridge hammock. I have a jrb bridge that i love but its a bit heavy with the spreader bars. By the way, if its possible, spreader bars cut into thirds to keep the hammock more compact and packable would be great. Let me know if you need someone to test out a proto type for you!!

Brian Blackley

@biasbrian

Brian from Butt in a Sling here (my disclosure)…

We've launched bug nets on our site. Thanks!

http://www.buttinasling.com/buginator.html

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools