Topic

Evolution “Loop” Solo

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Evolution “Loop” Solo

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

So I'm planning on doing this trip in mid August and after reading B.G.s trip report from last summer (?) and looking at my newly acquired map I realized it's actually not a loop. Either you have to hitch hike between trail heads which I'm fine with or I could try to find some connecting trails. According to my map there is a trail that goes east from Lake Sabrina, up and over Table Mountain and connects to the road to South Lake where my car will be parked. This trail goes by George Lake and Tyee Lakes if that helps at all. Does anyone have any experience with this trail? Or do you think hitch hiking would be easier/less time consuming?

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Their is a use trail. I forgot the mileage. You might have pretty good luck hitching a ride as the roads are pretty well traveled (both North Lake and South Lake) it is a beautiful hike BTW. Have fun!

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

If you mean the North lake/South Lake loop, don't worry about hitch-hiking the few road miles between trail-heads. There's lots of day-trippers and fishermen out and about who are friendly and familiar with your situation. Some of them will help. At least that's been my experience. And yes it's a great hike. (You could carry a little cardboard sign that says "my car's at South Lake" but that's probably overkill.)

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"This trail goes by George Lake and Tyee Lakes if that helps at all. Does anyone have any experience with this trail? Or do you think hitch hiking would be easier/less time consuming?"

Erik, I had that trail scoped out in case I needed to use it. Then I decided that hitching from one lake to another would be easier and quicker. Hitching proved to be just a bit problematic, but it worked. Maybe I should have washed my face and combed my hair to speed that up.

–B.G.–

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I guess I'll pack some extra food and have the trail as my back up in case I'm not pretty enough to get a ride.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Eric, I've been looking into the same loop. The trail from the South Lake TH to the North Lake TH is about 11 miles. Here's a link to a trip report about the full loop hike:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6758

I already have permits for late August (starting at North Lake). Can't lose no matter how you get into Evolution.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

Andy, thank you for the link. It was nice reading about that section over Table mountain and it looks like some of the trail can be hard to find. Thankfully I'm getting up there a day or so earlier and I can scout it out some. I'm going up mid August and I can barely wait.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools