Topic

sespe may 18-20th

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips sespe may 18-20th

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    kevin smith

@divr6347

just bumping my original thread for the sespe may 18 th – 20 th if anyone wants to get out there for a weekend hike should be a great trip if the weather holds up

hoping to get more milage this time and some swimming in the sespe if its warm enough

plan as of now is to hike in mid morning on friday and hike out sunday afternoon

come on out and join the fun im sure it will be a great time with great people

kevin

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I'll see how life looks as the weekend gets closer. Might try to come out and catch you with my son or daughter for Saturday night.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Locale: San Gabriel Valley

I'm reserving that weekend for my daughter's bday but she's getting older now and often decides to do something with her friends in which case I may be able to make it out there. We'll see.

kevin smith

@divr6347

if you guys can swing it come on out we will probably hit the trail about 11 am or earlier on friday depending on the drive over

should be a good trip

kevin

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Locale: So Cal

Ill be in the neighborhood that weekend as well. Pretty neat coincidence, a couple friends had that weekend open (Ive been pestering them for the past month) so we are heading out there the on the 19th. We will probably be heading for Sespe hot springs, we'll keep an eye out for you guys on the way.

A bit off topic:
    I was looking at my USGS and noticed a trail that we passed last year, heading to Lady Bug camp. It looks like the trail links up with some others (Last Chance Trail and Santa Paula Canyon trail) all the way down the other side. This trip has been on my mind a while now. There are some photos up on Google Earth that make me really want to do it.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo_explorer#view=photo&position=15&with_photo_id=8409553&order=date_desc&user=795332

This guy has a few shots of Jackson Falls.

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

Rob, that place looks killer. Nick B might know more about it, that dude has been around the Sespe.

kevin smith

@divr6347

yea nick knows the sespe pretty well he probably knows exctly where you are talking about

probably has a map of that area too

kevin

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Good thinking, guys, I will shoot him a PM.

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I'm going to be up there that weekend but probably just an overnight, sat/sun. It would be cool to meet up with some people. Where were you thinking?

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks Kevin for organizing this trip last year. Sespe is beautiful in the spring.

I checked out the area Rob is talking about, and the photos look amazing. Here's one of the narrows in the Punch Bowl area:

punch bowl

and swimming hole:

swimming hole

It would be easy to thru-hike from Piedra Blanca to the Punch Bowls. It's possible to follow the Sespe to just before Willet Hot Springs, take the Red Reef Trail to the Ladybug Campsite (13.5 miles). The Last Chance Trail then leads down to Santa Paula Canyon and to Jackson Falls & the Punch Bowl and then out to the 150/Sulphur Springs JCT (13.1 miles). Shuttling between TH's is only a few miles.

A possible overnighter. . .

sespe to punch bowls

Rob Vandiver

@shortbus

Hey Andy,
    This is similar to what I was thinking, but shuttling means I couldn't go solo. Plan B was to take a two nighter, hike from Santa Paula Canyon to Lady Bug Camp, day hike to Willet the next day for a soak, and back to LBC, then back out the next day. I PMed Nick B., and got a little discouraged.

1) The Santa Paula Canyon to the Punchbowls are pretty trashed by idiots.
    2)The trail between Last Chance and Jackson Falls might be iffy / overgrown (no biggie, IMO)
    3) There have been a ton of car break ins at the Santa Paula Canyon trailhead.

I don't mind the faint trails/bushwhacking, and I am (unfortunately) used to see jerk offs trashing pretty areas, but I really don't want to stress about my car for 2-3 days. His other routes have possibilities, but I haven't had a chance to really look at them yet.

-Rob V.

Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

Thanks Rob. It's good Nick can help with info on the area. Too bad about the Punch Bowls, unfortunately it's probably typical of a good area that is so close to a main road. Sounds like it may be best to start from Piedra Blanca.

Nico .
    BPL Member

@nickb

Locale: Los Padres National Forest

The section of the Last Chance Trail from about Jackson Falls area to Last Chance Camp is pretty bad. Last time I tried to hike it (about 5 or 6 years ago), the trail just seemed to vanish at some point into thick brush. There was no more indication of it… just gone. I haven't been back since to try it again, although I'm tempted to.

I heard a second-hand report that a friend of a friend hiked some of this a couple of weeks ago on a day hike. I was told the trail conditions are pretty awful up past Jackson Falls. Not sure whether the reporting hiker was able to make it farther up or not.

The biggest hang-up, like Rob said, is the break-in problem at the TH. For a day hike, the risk probably isn't that bad, but leaving your car there overnight seems like an invitation to trouble.

If you guys decide to team up for a hike, let me know. Depending on when, perhaps I could join along. Or at the very least, give you some ideas for a couple of trips. There's some opportunities for some fun adventures with scenery sorta' like the Punchbowls…

kevin smith

@divr6347

only about two weeks until the sespe trip

anyone else interrested in going?? chime in if its in your scedule for one night or two should be a great time with fellow bpl ers last years trip was awesome

kevin

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Hi Kevin,
    I think I can swing Friday/Saturday. Has the plan been finalized?

Thanks

Mike

kevin smith

@divr6347

jack and i are leaving at 7-30 am friday for the trip

the plan will be to meet at the piedra blanca trail head between 9-30 and 10 am

friday for the hike in from what im hearing adventure passes are required and you will need two daily passes if staying two nights

our tentative plan is to stay at bear camp and day hike up towards willet and go exploring in the sespe on saturday for anyone who is game

should be a good trip guys if anyone else is interrested or needs directions let me know

weather looks promising with no rain in the forecast as of yet

lets make it happen guys

kevin

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

I might come up with my son or daughter or both for Saturday night. Let me feel things out this week. I leave for a bigger trip the following weekend so not sure if I can swing it. I'll know by midweek. If I can get out it'll likely be for Saturday afternoon/evening and leave early Sunday morning.

So you'll be at Bear for both nights then?

kevin smith

@divr6347

we will be at bear camp for both nights is the plan so far im hoping to hike to willet on saturday if we can swing it just to check it out

we will see

keep us posted and we will save you a campsite for saturday night

kevin

kevin smith

@divr6347

just an fyi

there will be two dogs along on this trip one being a large great dane the other

a smaller sheltie type dog both are well mannered and mind well but just in case

your not into getting sniffed or licked or are allergic to them i just thought id

clarify that

kevin

Adan Lopez
    Spectator

@lopez

i hope i can go too. daughters bday Friday, so i cant really commit. but if anybody leaves me unattended for more than a few minutes saturday, that's all i will need to shoulder my pack, tuck my bottle in, and slide out the window.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

OK, I'm in, will be coming out on Saturday with both my kids. I likely won't get in until evening (will hit the trailhead around 2 or 3PM) and will be leaving first thing Sunday morning.

And don't worry about the kids, they're plenty accustomed to being around "adults" using "adult" language and drinking "adult" things. :)

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

Craig, if you're coming, I will bring the backpacking stuff me and kevin have been collecting for you. We just need to figure out when to make the transfer, and if you'll have enough room in your car.

Jack

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Cool, thanks Jack, didn't think you still had stuff. It would be totally helpful though…I have about 10 students planning on backpacking for 2 nights/3 days on Memorial Day weekend- they're scrambling for gear. As of right now, I can fully outfit about 3 or 4 with donated gear.

Don't know if you're hiking out early Sunday…I guess that would be the best time. If it doesn't work out, no big deal. I appreciate you thinking of me/my students though. We can talk later in the week.

Backpack Jack
    BPL Member

@jumpbackjack

Locale: Armpit of California

I can hike out early with you, and kevin can hike out later if he wants. Sound good!

kevin smith

@divr6347

closest i could get was fraier park for a forecast but looks like 70 s in the

daytime and low to mid 50 s at night should be a great weekend for hiking

maybe not so good for swimming :(

kevin

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools