Topic

Anybody recognize this old pack?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Anybody recognize this old pack?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Locale: playa del caballo blanco

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this company and pack–Bonanza Rugged Outdoor Products. I didn't have my scale with me when I saw it but the aluminum frame feels quite lightweight. I can't find anything about them from an online search. Where the company was based and any info about them? When it might be from (looks about 30 years old or so)? Thanks!patchfrontback

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

I've never seen one. Someone like McHale might know though.

Keep in mind that in the late 60's and early 70's many, many companies were making external frame packs (mostly Kelty knock-offs). It was not uncommon to see them in hardware stores and stores like Thrifty Drug or dime stores like Newberry's. Of course you would also get some Blue Chip stamps or S&H Green stamps with every purchase :) – now that should start a generation gap conversation.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

Thanks for the reply Nick. I had thought it might be an off-brand since I can't really find info about the company, and also because the owner was a pretty casual backpacker. It does have metal YKK zippers on the pack pockets which still work great though.
    I really enjoyed your posts about the packs, clothes and stove you used back in the day.

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

Their was local company in San diego who manufactured outdoor gear under the Famous Trails brand owned by Oscar's Father who owned Cal stores who sold athletic shoes and discount sporting goods.They also manufactured for others companies and rebranded the packs they made.
    It strange to see external frame pack held on by nylon webbing and metal buckles instead of clevis pins. The webbing looks frayed could using some trimming and melting if it is not nylon fold it over on it self and sew together.
    Terry

Marc Shea
    BPL Member

@flytepacker

Locale: Cascades

That pack looks very similar to a pack that my dad had in the mid to late eighties that was made by Academy Broadway. You can search online for those packs and you will find several examples. Given the encircled "A" on the Bonanza logo, I am wondering if this was a rebranded Academy Broadway pack that was sold into a different channel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACADEMY-BROADWAY-EXTERNAL-FRAME-BACKPACK-/310390070023?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844b09b07

I had a Jr. version of an Academy Broadway pack and as I recall it barely had enough capactiy for my 9lb JC Penny sleeping bag, an extra pair of jeans, and my vienna sausages in a can. My poor dad carried a 12 pound 3 man tent. It was a wonder we referred to those trips as recreation.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I really like the simplicity of those old packs–if you have a chance to weigh the frame and pack bag I'd be curious to know the results. My father-in-law still hikes with his REI pack of a similar vintage. Not ultralight, but not too heavy either.

The red trim against the olive is sharp. Might have to use that for my next pack.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

I've seen something like that before. Started scouting in 1973 and I'm pretty sure my scout master had some packs either of that make or very similar. Probably 60s vintage. Like Kelty or Camp Trails, which we had many of. Not very comfortable by any stretch. Thanks for sharing.

Greg Pehrson
    BPL Member

@gregpehrson

I finally got a chance to weigh this pack. Came out to 3 lbs 8.2 oz.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools