Topic

Long Trail or Maine Section of the AT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Long Trail or Maine Section of the AT?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Matt Kelly

@mkelly

Hi Folks,

I have some time off this summer in July. I am considering hiking the Long Trail, the Cohos Trail, or the Maine section of the AT. I have always wanted to thru hike the LT but I have actually already hiked significant sections of it. I love Maine and most of the trail would be new to me. At this point I am leaning towards Maine but for those of you who have hiked in New England how would you describe these different trails both in terms of the experience and logistics. I would really appreciate your thoughts!

Ryan Linn

@ryan-c-linn

Locale: Maine!

Wow. That's a pretty great dilemma to have. You really can't go wrong with any of those.

The Cohos Trail should probably be the third in the list, although it's still pretty amazing. It would be a toss-up between Maine and the LT for me. I'm partial to Maine just because I'm from there, but the Long Trail is incredible, too.

Maine has a lot more lakes and ponds with some really great lake-side campsites. The above-tree-line sections of the AT in Maine are also the most spectacular places you'll see anywhere on the east coast.

The Long Trail is rugged and glorious, and once you get north of the AT you're going to see very few people. Once you get north of Stowe and Mt Mansfield, you'll be in a really wonderful wild area. There are also a huge number of really fantastic towns you can get to from the trail.

If you've hiked in Vermont a lot already, I'd say do the Maine AT this year, and the LT the next. Maybe the Cohos the year after that.

Gerry Volpe

@gvolpe

Locale: Vermont

Maine

Matt D.
    Spectator

@mirabela

Wow! Great options.

I don't know the Cohos trail, so I can't really weigh in there.

Having done both the LT and the Maine AT — and I love them both — I think I'd give the vote to Maine. Overall I'd say the logistical challenges and the physical challenges are very, very similar.

I'd go with Maine because it has a broader variety of terrain, better swimming options, and Katahdin.

Patrick S

@xpatrickxad

Locale: Upper East TN

In summer? Maine! Great swimming.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools