Topic

Any reason to put a hem around the perimeter of a cuben poncho/ground cloth?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Any reason to put a hem around the perimeter of a cuben poncho/ground cloth?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Was planning to hem the perimeter of this .75/oz cuben poncho but then asked myself "why". I don't have a ton of experience with cuben but I don't think it's going to fray sans hem. Not doing the hem would save me some sewing time, give me a tiny bit more coverage, and save a minute amount of weight.

I know it would have a more finished look with a hem… and add to the strength should it be used for a tarp…..but it won't be used for a tarp. I would however add small reinforcement patches under the snaps along the sides.

Am I overlooking something?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Did you see Sulk46 video http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD7%20Cuben%20Fiber%20Tarp.html

He hems around the perimeter. Maybe other useful things in that video.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Thanks, Jerry. I actually did watch that video not long ago. Not sure that it would apply to my project though…being that I wouldn't be using my poncho as a tarp.

That said, having given this more thought, I think I'll put a thin hem in… if for nothing else, so it's more pleasing to my eye. The reinforced areas would look cleaner too with them tucked under the hem.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools