Topic

Dark Canyon Clothing List Late May

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Dark Canyon Clothing List Late May

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

I'm going backpacking with my family this May for 9 days and would like some help selecting clothing for the trip. All of my hiking has been on the AT and in the southeast so I've never done anything desert like before. I'm not looking to go ultralight or anything, just want to be sure I have what I need and am not carry anything I definitely won't. Here's what I have planned, any advise would be appreciated!

Worn (most of the time):

Patagonia Rock Guide Pants 9oz
    Under Armour boxer Jocks 3oz
    Lorpen Liner Socks 2oz
    Thorlo Thick Cushion Socks 4oz
    Mountain Hardwear Canyon Top ? (just ordered)
    Outdoor Research Swift Hat 2oz
    Cheep Polarized Sunglasses 1oz

Sleep:(I'm planning on using a sleeping bag that I'm comfortable down to about 45 deg in long johns):

Powerstretch bottoms 7oz
    Icebreaker T-shirt ~4oz
    Sleep socks 2oz

Other:
    Extra Thorlo Socks 4oz
    Extra Liners 2oz
    Extra Boxer Jocks 3oz
    Outdoor Research Rapid Shorts 6oz (for swimming, wearing while rinsing pants, really hot hiking)
    Marmot Zeus Jacket 15oz (It's heavy, but I figure it'll keep me warm for nights on the rim)
    Beanie 2oz

Josiah
    Spectator

@eternalnoob

Anyone got any advice for me?

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

What route are you doing? Overall that list looks pretty good. I don't really think you'll need the Zeus unless you'll be in the upper part on the rim. Late May is pretty toasty, even on the rim. Take lots of sunscreen. A bandana to dip in the water and wear under your hat for some extra neck and ear sun protection is nice. If you're going down Sundance your knees might appreciate some trekking poles. If you're going up Sundance, leaving early morning or late evening is the way to go if you don't want to bake. We've been there the last two summers and always hike out at dusk and finish in the dark. Mornings heat up pretty quick.

If you're planning on any loop that involves crossing benches (like between Young and Lean To) make sure you have plenty of water carrying capacity.

Dark Canyon is fantastic. Especially the lower section between Youngs and the river (lower Youngs is pretty spectacular as well).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools