Topic

question on the Gatewood Cape

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) question on the Gatewood Cape

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

With the Cape at max height, how many inches does the opening sit above the ground? Thanks.

Mina Loomis
    BPL Member

@elmvine

Locale: Central Texas

Depends on how high of a pole or stick you put up, and how long the stake cords are. With the cords supplied with it, maybe 6" if your pole or stick is long enough. I find there's a lot of variation in what you can do with it. Shorter pole (or pole at an angle), and the corners more spread out, makes a lower profile for wind but less usable space. When I need more usable space I add a cord from the side halfway up (there's a tab) to my second pole or a branch, to lift the sloping roof up. If it's cold I stake all the corners straight to the ground. I've also added longer strings to raise it up for hot weather with a threat of rain. And I look for a longer stick if my fixed length GG pole doesn't reach. It's a good idea to experiment with these options at home, and practice your more successful setups, so you don't have to fiddle with it as much on trips.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I found that a trekking pole (or stick) set at about 130-135 cm would give me max height with the short cords that SMD supplies to get the corners off the ground. You will also probably want to extend the cord of the front beak by a few feet. In nice weather with a little finagling you can cant the whole GC back a bit and get more ventilation as well as head room. Play in the backyard first, then you'll be all set on the trail in more challenging conditions.

Rusty Beaver
    BPL Member

@rustyb

Locale: Idaho

Sorry to get off topic here but I have to say that I like your plate and trail name, Robert. I practice Qigong…Dragon & Tiger at the moment. Need to do it more regularly though.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I use GG LT4's – adjustable so I can vary the height. I carry 16" lines for the Cape and it provides me with a lot of flexibility in how I pitch it. Windy and stormy means it's pitched to the ground into the wind. Nice out and just using it for insurance? I'll pitch it as high as I can for ventilation and space. Here's a photo:

Gatewood Cape on the Allegheny Front Trail

You'll also notice that I use my second pole with some extra guyline attached to the tie-out to provide even more headroom.

Dennis Park
    BPL Member

@dpark

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@Kevin,

Roughly guessing, how many inches is it from the tie out point at the head to the ground?

(Makes you wish some of these products were in stores to see before purchase.)

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Dennis,

Adding the additional pole and guyline probably only gives me another 2-4" of headroom, perhaps taking it from 18" to 22" (or something close to that). It seems like more when you're laying there…

I know what you mean about wanting to see one in person before you buy. Send me a PM with your address and I'll ship you mine to set up so you can see for yourself. I'll just ask that you ship it back within a week or two of receiving it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools