Topic

Trips Thoughts in Georgia

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Trips Thoughts in Georgia

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I'm looking for some new trips to do in the north Georgia area. I've got some criteria to go along with trip ideas though. Most of the trips I have done and hear about are either on the SC/GA border or along the AT.

1) I've done all of the Georgia AT. Several parts I have done more than once. So I would like to avoid that.

2) I'm trying not to drive too much. This means I don't want to go into NC to find my hiking, even though I know there is some. My goal is to keep my driving to about 60 miles one way. I may go for some trips to NC as well. Also, I'm located in Alpharetta.

3) I like doing long miles, especially during the long summer days, so I am most interested in areas and routes that would let me do long stretches of hiking. 20 miles in a day is a good aim, so maybe a 50 mile total trip for a short weekend outing.

Does anyone know of good routes in the central north Georgia area, or really any part of Georgia?

I've also thought about branching out and trying to do some off trail travel if possible in this area. Does anyone know any good areas for that? Is it difficult in most areas to leave the travel because of heavy tree cover?

I'd also be interested in finding some hiking partners for these trips in the near future. I know I have talked to some others about doing some trips in these areas, so hopefully we can get a group together.

Thanks for any tips on good trips.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Duncan Ridge Trail

Cohutta(sp) Wilderness

Benton McKaye Trail

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

I've been planning to do the Ga loop which is about 60 miles combining the BMT AT and Duncan ridge trails.

I'm in the same position in that I don't have time to drive too far and am a bit tired of the AT in Ga.

It's real late notice but I may be doing the GA loop this weekend, if youre up for it. Regardless, I will be doing some sort of hike this weekend, if you're interested. Send me a PM

Hiking Malto
    BPL Member

@gg-man

The Georgia loop is worth doing once. You will repeat blood mountain to three forks on the at. I day hiked it a couple of years ago and it lived up to its reputation as the toughest hiking trail in ga. There was 15,700' of elevation gain

Another option is to look at the trail that runs along the chatooga on the ga/sc border. You easily put together a long trip there though it will be an out and back. There are several options on the conasauga but the main trail following the river has something like 76 stream crossings if you do the 26 out and back. There will be other loop that can be strung together. Finally, go hike the Benton mackay trail. Either out and back or loop with at.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools