Topic

GoLite stores don’t take….cash?!?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) GoLite stores don’t take….cash?!?!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

"Was it really just a matter of time before someone compared a single company not accepting cash as a sign of the Apocalypse?"

Well it is 2012.

Tom Lyons

@towaly

Locale: Smoky Mtns.

This unusual policy by Golite provoked me to go looking for what reason they might have for turning away good paying customers.

And it didn't take much digging on their website to find out that they are very proud of being a "B Corporation".
    So, I looked up B Corporations, and lo and behold, B Corporations are part of a group which promotes "social change", and they are primarily funded by the Rockefeller Foundation, and the 3 main directors of the B Corporation board are from the Aspen Institute think tank.
    So, there's your connection to the policies.
    I find it interesting that these B Corporation people refer to their group as the "good corporations", apparently because they promote "social change" in the direction that the Aspen Institute and the Rockefeller Foundation prefer.

Didn't take much scratching the surface to find it.

Ernie Fuentes
    BPL Member

@askernie

I have to agree partially with Dena. I use my VISA debit card exclusively. The same way the creator of this post got upset when
    Go-lite didn't take cash, I get upset when businesses don't take my Visa debit card. Now…I understand about the discount rates so I respect their decision. But the reality is that many of businesses that don't take credit cards is because they are not disclosing all their income not the fees..

But having a long history in the retail business, I understand why they would do it. It literally takes the store I work in 4 employess and 45 minutes to count out , make the deposit and put away the cash every night. I can only imagine what that adds up too just in employee dollars alone. Add in all the extra costs as mentioned earlier in this post and you can at least understand why they would do it.

Hey…with the economy the way it is, businesses are always looking to save that "buck"…lol

ernie the eyeball

Lawson Kline
    BPL Member

@mountainfitter

It use to be… CASH TALKS AND BULLSH1T WALKS.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Really.

Cash Rules Everything Around Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbqUXJuRrH0&feature=fvst

DaMn, quoting the Wu Tang and the King James Bible all in one thread.
    I'm on a roll.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Plastic=too much of the man all up in our business. Tracking what and where we buy. Marketers are evil and behind this scheme.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

+1 for cash

I am with Craig and Ken here. I don't even have a credit card, just an ATM card and I prefer to not have all my purchases tracked.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

is for weak minded fools ;)

yr jedi mind tricks no work on me …

at the end of the day, who cares …. if you dont like GoHeavy's policy, buy from someone else who will be willing to part you from yr moola

David Ure

@familyguy

I rarely carry around cash. Instead I use a card (no debit), collect air miles, and then fly to Colorado to visit the Golite stores.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

"Instead I use a card (no debit), collect air miles, and then fly to Colorado to visit the Golite stores."

Now that's sneaky. A fabulous way to buy what you want and still buy local. I'm flying to China to buy my next iPhone.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

"I'm flying to China to buy my next iPhone."

If you can get through Apple's rioting factory workers and Chinese police…

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"If you can get through Apple's rioting factory workers and Chinese police…"

No problem. They only harass workers, not consumers….

Pete Staehling
    BPL Member

@staehpj1

"Instead I use a card (no debit), collect air miles, and then fly to Colorado to visit the Golite stores."

Yep, only I tend to use my REI Visa and get a large dividend every year. I got a $50 gift card for free and get 5% back on REI purchases and 1% on other purchase with the card. All that is in addition to the regular REI member dividend. I pay the balance off every month so there is no interest charged and it is nice to get a couple hundred dollars worth of free gear every year.

Ryan Smith
    BPL Member

@violentgreen

Locale: East TN

"20 years ago I tried to give Merrill Lynch cash for my account and they wouldn't accept it. So I guess the Apocalypse started a long time ago."

Yeah, all of the brokerage firms stopped taking cash years ago. Supposedly to fight money laundering.

Ryan

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

"If you can get through Apple's rioting factory workers and Chinese police…"

From CafeMom:

Imagine a world where a seething mass of people line up to … donate kidneys. Hard to imagine, eh? Or one where a huge crowd of people all clamor to … volunteer at a soup kitchen. Seeing it? Me neither. Now imagine a writhing mass of humanity gathered to .. get the latest iPhone. Hey, you don't have to imagine. There are pictures! It happens! Of course it does. Because we live in a world where thousands of people line up to get their hands on the latest electronic gadget. Where cops are called in to keep the peace. Where people actually applaud you when you leave the Apple store like you just discovered the cure for cancer. Sigh. What a world.

Viewing 15 posts - 51 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools