Topic

Looking for suggestions for wedding anniversary trip, end of May, near(ish) N. Idaho

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Looking for suggestions for wedding anniversary trip, end of May, near(ish) N. Idaho

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

My wife and I are looking for suggestions for a primitive cabin/yurt located within a few hours of North Idaho. This would be to celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary, end of May (but can do mid-week, to avoid Memorial Day).

Hike-in is just fine–my wife has been a backpacker in the past but doesn't want to sleep on the ground for our anniversary. Day hike opportunities and mountains are desired. Early season conditions are assumed (we can borrow snow shoes if need be).

We are pretty flexible with location. East slope of (North) Cascades, Columbia Gorge, Selkirks, Selway-Bitteroot, etc.

Other ideas welcome–for example, would it be worth hoping on the Empire Builder and taking the train to Glacier NP?

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

David,

You might contact Jeff and Diane at Rendezvous Backcountry tours, http://www.skithetetons.com They have several yurts in the Driggs/Victor area in the winter and at least one that's available year-round. Terrific operation, and it's tough to top the views of the Tetons from the west.

I've never been to Glacier or the adjacent Bob Marshall Wilderness in May so I don't know what conditions you'd face. Don't know about yurts but the Isaak Walton Inn in Essex, where the Empire Builder stops, is a fun place and in summer or winter close to a number of good trails. You used to be able to rent a caboose!

Enjoy your anniversary!

Richard

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Thanks, Richard.

I hadn't considered the Tetons–at least one of those yurts looks like a possibility. Did look into the Empire Builder–a good idea for a longer trip, I think. From where we are, nearly all the train ride there and back would be in the dark and the wee hours of the morning.

Thanks again.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Yes, the eastbound train arrives in Essex about 7 am and the westbound around 7 pm – just perfect so that you go through the best scenery in the middle of the night. One of my volunteers on a service trip was going to take it from Portland to Whitefish or West Glacier, but she cancelled her trip.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools