Topic

Source for 3M Propore in bulk?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Source for 3M Propore in bulk?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Been doing a little looking online for Propore–can't seem to find anyone selling it by the yard/meter. Some companies in NZ and Aus are using it for mite-proof mattress covers, and there's an art-handling company that advertising using it for packing, so I figure there must be some source.

Looks like Bill Fornshell (in an old post) was just buying propore ponchos and cutting up for a bivy–maybe that's the best/only way to get a decent-sized sheet of it?

Any leads?

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

I assume this is the same fabric. I was thinking of getting one to test the fabric, and then getting more for projects.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330712311090?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Hmm–better price than DriDucks poncho, anyway. Here's the art-handling website (in Germany):

http://www.art-handling.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=30&Itemid=25&lang=english

Looks like they have a source for propore by the roll.

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Locale: Midwest

They sell this stuff for 4 or 5 bucks a yard at joanns in the utility fabrics section. It may be an off brand of the 3m version but it's the same stuff. It comes in all colors and what not. Hope this helps.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Joel, I've looked for fabrics like this at Joann's and on the Joann's website. In the utility fabrics section, they have a nonwoven fabric that is heavier than Propore but looks and feels similar. It comes, as you say, in many colors. It is for diapers and mattress covers. Their website explains that it is polyester with a polyurethane membrane. I have never seen a Propore-like polypropylene/polypropylene laminate there.

You seem pretty certain that the stuff you saw is the same as Propore, but I'm a bit skeptical. Maybe it's different than what I saw.

Joel Hulett

@jhalan

Locale: Midwest

Polyester urethane laminate is what I think you referring to. The stuff I looked at was a polypro nonwoven. In some cases it won't be listed because it is not a popular fabric and may require a "dig" through the clearance isle. I asked one of the store personel and she said that in most cases "b" fabrics go straight to the clearance isle such as pp4 nylon jacketing and such. At my Joanns the polypro is next to the ironing board fabric. It may not be available in all stores. Last time I checked "last week" they only had one roll of a brownish red color. The label said polypro nonwoven. The item title said something like reusable grocery bag material.

Colin Krusor
    BPL Member

@ckrusor

Locale: Northwest US

Thanks for the details, Joel. I guess that is a different fabric than the stuff I saw. Did the nonwoven polypropylene material that you saw have a membrane like Propore? I have a nonwoven polypropylene grocery bag from Trader Joe's, but it is just nonwoven polypropylene. It is not a laminate with a WPB polypropylene membrane. I don't mean to interrogate you, I'm just curious.

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Just took a look at a non-woven PP grocery bag. No membrane. Water ran off it nicely, when I put it under the faucet. Filled a quart mason jar, clamped the grocery bag material over the mouth with a sealing ring and inverted. Water started leaking through slowly (drop by drop) from points all across the surface of the material. So failure at less than 7" water column.

I'd guess at $4-5 bucks a yard (even if it is Propore) buying ponchos and cutting them up is just about as economical, even if less convenient.

Bill Segraves
    BPL Member

@sbill9000-2

FWIW, the PUL I've found at the Joanns in my area (next to the ironing board fabric) is not the same fabric as the Driducks poncho material. Has a very different look and feel, and is much less breathable.

Best,

Bill

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools