Topic

healthiest backpacking breakfast?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition healthiest backpacking breakfast?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Here's a different paradigm: Use the spiffiest whole-grain, organic, macro-biotic, dolphin-safe oats you want and. . . . bake oatmeal cookies. At home. Put in raisins/craisins if you want some fruit to, er, "keep you regular". Sweeten as much or as little as you like (honey, brown sugar, white, maple syrup, whatever)

Monster Cookies are another variation of that theme. Nuts, raisins or other dried fruit can be added or used as a substitute for the chocolate chips.

The ring from a standard sized mason jar lid is a great mold for making dense and uniformly large monster cookies that don't crumble so easily.

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

I always bring fiber cereal in zip locs-(1 cup),20-30 blueberries with Enfamil infant formula. When you are out in the middle of no where blueberries taste amazing. The Enfamil infant formula comes in (0.62oz) packets plus they are fortified with a lot of vitamins and minerals intended for little ones. MMMMM!!!!!

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I too am a great fan of hard boiled eggs (preferrably 2 per day) plus a bagel with cream cheese and a beef stick (the long ones). That's a high protein jump-start to my day. Add a liter of Tang and I've got a down home breakfast.

I leave the eggs in the shell as they last longer that way (still sterile inside). I store the eggs in my cook pot, wrapped in a bandana for cushioning. Yes, I have to deal with the shells but the weight penalty is tiny and my trash bag is huge.

Unfortunately, three days' worth is usually all I can carry. Six eggs and three Bagels don't compress worth a darn and the bagels will stale quickly. Meat sticks are a non-issue; they'll fit anywhere.

The big advantage to me is there's no need to fire the stove in the morning; it's up, pack, and out for me. Make the miles before the afternoon thunderstorms hit.

I find it hard enough to gag down food the first four trail days anyway, so I carry something I know I'll (eventually) eat.

To me, instant oatmeal has less flavor and nutrition that the envelope it is packed in. YUCK! It does make great wallpaper paste though; gotta give it that.

If I really want a hot breakfast or when I find myself with more trail breakfasts than I have eggs and bagels, Cream of Wheat with either raisins or cranberries is actual an edible substitute. On really cold mornings, I must admit I'll grab one of these over the eggs….or in addition to them.

Mitch Helling

@goinboarding

I like chia seeds soaked in water for 20 minutes, add honey, apple/banana, granola. No cooking, healthy, and I find it tasty. Its especially good if you can soak the seeds in coconut water, but carrying in coconut water isn't very practical. Yeah chia seeds probably sound wierd, but 1/4 cup dry is ~120 calories with 6grams protein.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Chia is very good for you! :-) The fat in them is amazing stuff and high in Omegas as well……..and fiber!

Randy Martin
    BPL Member

@randalmartin

Locale: Colorado

On the trail I am a big fan of the Pack-It Gourmet Smoothies. Just add water, shake and drink. They have a nice Fat-Protein-Carb (13g-35g-42g) profile that really gives you sustained energy.

Jack Elliott

@jackelliott

Locale: Bend, Oregon, USA

Is there a risk that dropped seeds might sprout and eventually cover the hills and dales with chia? I'm not a chia farmer so I have no idea what climate zones they can get a toehold in.

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Down here in SoCal, chia growing wild from dropped seeds would be a non-issue – it's pretty much everywhere it could grow already! You could probably just take it from the trailside on some hikes, if you timed it right for harvesting, and then were willing to deal with winnowing, etc.

Chia is a native plant through much of the southwest and was a staple for many native groups.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/creamsicle-protein-smoothie

Randy, that is my version of their smoothies.

Eric Lundquist
    BPL Member

@cobberman

Locale: Northern Colorado

I bring Chia Goodness which has some additional nuts/seeds in it. I get it at my local Whole Foods. The taste is pretty good but on one trip I added my desert (Mountainhouse Raspberry Crumble) to the mix and it was delicious. I now prepackage the concoction before a trip using one Mountainhouse package for four breakfasts.

Curry
    BPL Member

@veganaloha

Locale: USA

What do you look like after ingesting Chia seeds for days and drinking losts of water while getting lots of sunshine? :)

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools