Topic

Camp STH 245

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Camp STH 245

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    douglas ray

@dray

Locale: Olympic Peninsula

Has anyone used this harness?

I currently have an Alpine Bod, but it will probably be due for replacement in a year or so, and I'm wondering about saving some weight for an alpine harness. This seems to be the lightest harness available that might be up to the job. All thoughts are welcome.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

Douglas,
    If your just need a light weight harness for alpine, why not just go for the lightest one?

The Camp XLH 95 is built pretty sturdy, (not much on the padding side). It is also almost just a 1/3 the weight of the STH 245.
    It only costs about $35 as well.

douglas ray

@dray

Locale: Olympic Peninsula

Yes the other harness is lighter, but it lacks gear loops and it looks like it would be very painful to hang in, let alone take a lead fall in. The non-adjustable leg loops limit it's versatility even more. I'm looking for a really lite iteration of a "full service" harness, and I'm willing to give up the second gear loops and some hanging comfort (perhapse), but not quite everything.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

I thought the Camp harness suggestion was a good one for non-technical alpine. For a "full service" harness you might consider the Petzl Pandion. It's one ounce lighter than the Alpine Bod (Pandion 2 v. Bod size XL) and I find it much more comfortable to hang in. (I find getting racked with the Alpine Bod to be so painful that it motivates me to a much higher level of performance to avoid it.) Single gear loop. It doesn't have unclippable leg loops like the Bod, though, so it's not quite as easy to drop trou.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools