Topic

Question for Granite Gear Blaze AC60 pack owners

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Question for Granite Gear Blaze AC60 pack owners

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

How long are the Regular size pack shoulder straps? Thanks,

Scott Lostetter
    Spectator

@slost

From where they attach to the frame sheet to the buckle on the end of the padding is about 20 inches and there is about 18 inches of webbing down to the bottom.

David Ure

@familyguy

Thanks Scott – that is most helpful.

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Thinking about picking up a Blaze?

Timothy Huguenin
    BPL Member

@timhuguenin

David Ure

@familyguy

@Clayton – possibly. I like the Crown and though I have not tried it on, based on the previous discussions on torso sizing I suspect I am between the M and L sizes (I was with the Vapor Trail). The Blaze looks to be a better choice. I am looking for more volume when I trek with my son. I have a Porter now and love it but it is a tall, skinny pack.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

David –

It sounds like you are expanding your new pack sizing formula (by adding shoulder strap length). I'd be interested in seeing your finding if you are comparing the Blaze, Crown and Vapor Trail.

Thanks!

David Ure

@familyguy

Hi Mike – yes, indeed. Assuming around the 17" (or a bit less) distance from the top of the hipbelt to where the shoulder harness attaches to the main bag, an 18.5" long shoulder strap works best for me.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Sounds like we are looking for the same size pack (based on your new sizing system).

I checked the measurements on my Burn and the pack measures 16.5" from top of waist belt to shoulder strap attachment. That is perfect for me. Unfortunately, the shoulder straps only measure 17" (padded portion) and I had to let out the thumb loop on the attached webbing to get the length I needed in the shoulder straps (I suspect I need about 18.5" of padded strap as well). Undoing the thumb loop allowed me to ride the pack back and it works very well for me however, if I overload it, the shoulder straps are narrowing as they go over my shoulders and I feel the weight.

I may take another look at the Crown and see if the padded part of the shoulder straps on the regular size would work for me if I extended the webbing part of the strap. The problem I had with the Crown in a Regular size was that there wasn't enough webbing strap to let it ride back. Might be an easy fix… I'll have to check it out again. The Blaze fit me well but I just can't make myself pull the trigger on a pack that weighs that much.

I agree with your other post, we need a mid size Crown!

MFR
    Spectator

@bigriverangler

Locale: West

Yeah, the shoulder straps are just long enough for me on the padding. I'd prefer an extra couple of inches, but I don't feel any difference yet. Yesterday, I put a 3 day load in for a dayhike, probably just under 20 pounds.

On the way back, I strapped my wife's pack to the top of the Crown–very sloppy without real concern to center of gravity, and the pack definitely pulled back quite a bit. But the shoulder straps were comfortable, and once I adjusted the load lifters to account for torso collapse (it was frameless yesterday), it carried 30 pounds very well. I have no doubt I could go higher if properly packed, but even yesterday gave me no pain.

If you think you might be between sizes, maybe try it on and see what the load lifters do for you. Just a thought.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools