Topic

What is your favorite liner style glove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) What is your favorite liner style glove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I'm looking for input on liner style gloves. I want a basic light glove with reasonable durability when worn stand-alone. I have some shell gloves with a light microfleece lining that provide good water and wind resistance, but I want to add just a little more warmth. Your favorite?

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Dale:

For hiking, my favorites are the DeFeet Wool Duragloves (slightly-stretchy wool/nylon blend with grippy dots on the palm-side of the glove). These work very well for our PNW staple weather: 40* – 60*, wet or dry. DeFeet makes a coolmax version, too.

For running and/or cycling, I use Pearl Izumi liner gloves.

Tommy Franzen
    Spectator

@tomlike

Locale: Pacific Wonderland

I am currently using the Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather gloves. Use them for ski touring in the PNW on mild days, bring them on backpacking trips too. Quick drying, pretty warm, water resistant

http://www.rei.com/product/743106/seirus-hyperlite-all-weather-gloves-mens

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Dale,
    I've been very happy with a pair of OR Versaliners–believe Will Reitveld reviewed and recommended them here a few months ago. 3 oz in size L, including removable shell. Shell stows in a zipped pocket on the back of the glove, which would also work well for handwarmers. Liners are basically softshell material, with silicone grippy dots. I notice the finger dots have worn pretty significantly, but I've used them for daily driving most of this winter.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Thanks to all for the replies.

I forgot about the Seirus line. I'll have to check them out the next time through REI. That is certainly the style I had in mind.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

My favorites are the Mountain Hardwear Powerstreatch Gloves, that are 1.3oz, but I also like some Lands End Thermacheck 100 gloves that are .9oz per pair. I go through a pair every season or two, but they are cheap, especially after season.

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Something nicer than the wool army surplus gloves?

Chad “Stick” Poindexter
    BPL Member

@stick

Locale: Southeast USA

I use a pair of OR PL150 gloves and they have been great for me. I have layered them under the MLD eVENT rain mitts and they worked great, however, I recently picked up a pair of ZPacks over mitts. They are a bit of a snugger fit but nothing constricting.

I still want to try some of the Possum Down gloves, but until these wear out I will just have to wait…

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

I really dig my possumdown gloves.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I have some fingerless Fox river Ragg gloves, they are 85% wool and 15% nylon. I like them a lot, and they are come with a fingered version.

Richard Fischel
    BPL Member

@ricko

for me they are perfect. they have great dexterity, are warm for their thickness and wick moisture away from my hands. they fit really close to the skin without being constricting. my cold weather glove systems are sized to fit over them, which means i can take my gloves (with their requisite liners)off if i have to and still have my hands protected by the liners. great for tying knots and the like. i also sometimes wear them alone with various shells in more mild conditions. finding them on seasonal close-out for $6/pair didn't hurt either, so i bought a couple.

check them out – http://www.manzella.com/index.php/products/detail/mz-092

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Ibex Knitty Gritty. I'm a big fan of Ibex stuff.

http://shop.ibex.com/Apparel/Zing/Knitty-Gritty-Glove

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

I like the merino liners from Icebreakers (not the thinnest ones, but the thicker ones). Nonsynthetic liners have the advantage of not melting when handling hot stuff (stoves, etc.).

William Brown
    Spectator

@matthewbrown

Locale: Blue Ridge Mtns

Mountain Hardware – Butter liners are great for when I'm using trekking poles.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

My daughter gave me an Amazon gift card and the Seirus Hyperlite All-Weather gloves were available at a decent price. I like them. They have a fairly snug fit and work with my Mountain Hardwear Conduit shell gloves. The reinforced palm should help with durability and using trekking poles. There is a reinforcement strip running down the outside of the long cuffs to help when pulling them on. I haven't seen that in a glove before; it aids traction and stress on the cuff— clever design. 1.8oz for a pair in large. They were $9.32 plus shipping.

I see they have the small/medium size for $6.73 — almost free :)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018BGEDW

Thanks for all the excellent input!

Jon Leibowitz
    BPL Member

@jleeb

Locale: New England

6 bucks and one ounce. Hard to beat.

http://www.hikelight.com/liberty-mountain-light-polypropylene-gloves.html

and can be combined with zpacks cuben mittens for a pretty light waterproof package.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools