Topic

Southern AT in June – Planning Resources?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Southern AT in June – Planning Resources?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I'll have a couple of weeks off for backpacking in mid-June and have never hiked the southern portion of the Appalachian Trail. Since I'll be in Georgia anyway I decided to start at Springer Mountain and see how far north I can get before my time runs out.

There are a variety of maps and guidebooks out there, but what are your favorites for trip planning and on-trail use in that area?

I haven't needed a map on other AT sections I've done but they're fun to look at during the planning phase, any recommendations?

Would it be worth it to buy the Appalachian Trail Data Book if I'm only going to be out for a couple of weeks?

In my brief searching I also haven't been able to find out much about weather conditions on the Georgia AT in mid-June, can anyone comment on what to expect or point me to sources for historical weather data?

Thanks!

-David

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I would expect the weather to be hot and humid, temps probably in the eighties at least until you reach the higher elevations of North Carolina. Because of the mild winter, I think the bugs/ticks will be bad this year too. I would think the water sources in GA should still be fine in June, but they can get sparse later in the summer with the droughts we have had the last few years. If you are looking for views, you would be a lot better off starting in NC maybe at the NOC/Wesser or Fontana, as there isn't much to see in GA.

I don't have the Databook, but I do have the ATC guides and maps for both GA/NC (Springer to Smokies) and TN/NC Smokies to Damascus and would be glad to let you borrow them if you like. Just PM me your email address and we'll work out the details.

Have Fun!

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

I've hiked north from Fontana before, so I'd like to go ahead and do the start of the trail.

Any idea what to expect for low temps at night? I'll probably be using a poncho/tarp and bivy most of the time since I've had some bad experiences with mice in the shelters, but not sure if I should be pairing that with my ~45 degree synthetic quilt or my 30 degree down sleeping bag.

It turns out a friend of mine has the AT Data Book, so I'm going to take a look at that, but thanks for the offer to borrow the guidebooks Brad, I'll definitely keep that in mind!

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

I'd plan on 80s at elevation in June. We've already gotten close to that here in Asheville and it's barely in to April. Of course it's supposed to hit 30 tonight, but that could be the annual early Spring freeze we get (usually comes late April or early May). Bugs are already bad and so is the pollen.

Here There
    BPL Member

@cowexnihilo

Is that 80's for the low temps? Sounds like I should keep working on that SUL air conditioner…

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

You should be ok in your 45* quilt. I have seen it 33* at night in June in the Smokies, but that was rare, and you will be considerably lower than the Smokies most of the trip. It has been an unseasonably warm spring.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools