Topic

Bay Area GGG 4.5 this fall?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Bay Area GGG 4.5 this fall?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

First time camping at Point Reyes? Read this.

http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/camping.htm

Camping is by permit only. Camping permits must be obtained from the Bear Valley Visitor Center before starting your trip. When you arrive to pick up your permit, you will be asked for the number of vehicles your party will leave parked in the Seashore overnight. We will issue the appropriate number of parking passes and it is your responsibility to ensure that all of the vehicles associated with your permit display an overnight parking pass. There is no afterhours self-registration for camping available. You must have made a reservation in advance to camp within Point Reyes National Seashore. If you have made a reservation and are arriving after 5 pm, you will need to contact the park at 415-663-8054 before 4:30 pm to inform us of how many overnight parking passes your party will need. A backcountry permit and the appropriate number of overnight parking passes will be left for you in a small wooden box on the back side of the information board outside of the Bear Valley Visitor Center. Retrieve your permit and parking passes from the box, fill in the highlighted sections and sign the permit, remove the carbon copies and put the carbon copies back in the box. Place a parking pass on the dashboard of each vehicle, making sure that it is visible from outside the vehicle. Attach the original backcountry permit to your backpack as you hike, then attach it to the outside of your tent once you've set up camp.

Coast Trail from behind the hostel open again too. So ride your bikepacking rig to camp.

http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/hiking_guide.htm#CP_JUMP_432589

Like maps?

http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/upload/map_park_with_relief.pdf

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Weekend after next. If you are staying with me at the group spot I need your license plate number of the vehicle you are leaving overnight in the parking area for park staff.

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I can't remember if if I ever officially signed up for this. I don't believe I can take the Friday off but I plan on being there Friday night. Hope there's room.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

You have a spot Matt.

I will be there mid afternoon on Friday.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Did I ever sign up?
    I am definitely in if there is room.
    Any trees?

rowan !

@romonster

Locale: SF Bay Area

There are no trees at all in the campground. The group sites are open and grassy, and the individual sites are surrounded by brush.

rowan !

@romonster

You may want to bring something to protect your food from mice. There are metal food lockers but small mice can get inside, and last year my friend's food got nibbled even though it was inside an Ursack Minor (the model that is specifically recommended for small critters, not bears). Also, the raccoons are brazen enough to grab food that is left unattended for even a few minutes.

On the plus side, Coast Camp is home to a lot of really adorable quail! And sunsets on the beach are wonderful!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

10 day bump.

Those staying at the group spot can send me a PM with your license plate number anytime.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Weather forecast looks good!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Carpooling? You should.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I have a couple spaces available. PM if interested.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

bumpidy do

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Woo Hoo. Finally this week! A four day work week and camping on the coast.

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Have a great time, everyone!

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ken,

Reading through the thread, you mention that there is a tag or permit that needs to be left on the windshield of the car for overnight parking.

Do we get that from the vistor's center or by us providing our license plate numbers to you, this avoids the need to display that tag on the dash/windshield?

I ask because you are arriving on Friday…..some of us maybe arriving on Saturday and you will at the site and perhaps physically holding onto the tags the Rangers provide for placing inside the cars.

Looking forward to the get together.

I am not taking any backpacking trips this year (being the worker monkey), so the GGG's are what I am able to do.

-Tony

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

The parking placards that need to be displayed on your dashboard will be given to me when I pick up the permit. This is why I have been asking for vehicle information. I will be getting there mid afternoon on Friday. So I'll have them with me at the trailhead and I will bring them to camp. It's less than 2 miles from the car so if I need to make another trip it is no big deal.

Any thoughts?

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

I was hoping to use public transit but I will probably need to drive. Is there any parking nearby?

rowan !

@romonster

There are two trailheads nearby. A permit is required for parking, of course.

From the Point Reyes website:
    The shortest approach to Coast Camp is via the 2.9 km (1.8 miles) slightly uphill hike on the Laguna and Firelane Trails, starting at the Laguna Trailhead just past the hostel. Following the Coast Trail from the Coast Trailhead before the hostel offers an easy, flat 4.3 km (2.7 miles) route.

More info here:
    http://www.nps.gov/pore/planyourvisit/campgrounds.htm

Sharon J.
    BPL Member

@squark

Locale: SF Bay area

There is a limited, but good bus from San Rafael to Bear Valley Visitor center

http://marintransit.org/routes/68.html

Matthew Black
    Spectator

@mtblack

Since it's established that I have to drive the measly 45 miles due to time constraints, I have room in my car. I can't leave SF until after 6:00 on Friday but there is plenty of room in my wagon.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Last call. I'm on the road in a couple of hours.

See everyone there.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Gathering of Gear Geeks(GGG)Pointe Reyes

Photo Essay Done.

Thanks for everyone who came out and to Ken T. for making it happen.

Always great to see old friends and to make new ones.

-Tony

Viewing 22 posts - 51 through 72 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools