Topic

Bear Bag butCord Storage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Bear Bag butCord Storage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    John Castro-Rappl
    BPL Member

@jabber

Using a bear bag for the first time this weekend, so I just picked up a 50' length of orange 2.75mm "Glocord" to use as my line. Here's the question – how do I store it? I know several people just toss it in the rock sacks, but I was thinking of using my stake bag for that, so it wouldn't be dedicated storage. Ideally, I'd like to keep it from getting tangled.

The cord came on a small plastic spool – this might be heresy, but is there any problem with keeping it/storing it on that while hiking? It's not heavy, keeps it from getting tangled, and seems like it'd save some time cleaning it up. Might even be able to double as a rock sack if necessary.

Maybe there are already some people who do this, but I tired searching for it and didn't come up with anything. Would love to hear your thoughts.

Also, apparently a bit of a typo in the title. Can't seem to edit the thread title itself, though.

Daniel Cox
    BPL Member

@cohiker

Locale: San Isabel NF

2.75 is pretty thin for a bear bag cord. I have no doubts it'll support all the food you could want, but I'd expect it to 'saw' into the tree limb. That damages the cord, the tree, and could possibly get your bag stuck in the sap-filled saw-mark. I personally eat the weight and use 6mm. Not everyone will agree with that, of course.

As for storage: I have had success storing military-issue '550' nylon cord in a cut down paper towel tube. I spooled it around my arm (palm to elbow) then folded it in half. If its a good fit the friction holds it in. Otherwise there's a taped-on paper cap. This may or may not be lighter than your spool.
    I typically just suck it up and do a little untangling before hanging the food.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

John,

Cord Management

If you are going to hang and you are NOT in a "Smart Bear" area, my recommendation is to go with 2 cords. The Ring Line has a simple pulley or a belay ring attached to one end. Throw it over the limb (you may need a rock bag for throwing mass), let the ring fall to the ground, thread Line Two through the ring. Pull the ring up no closer than 3' of the limb and tie it off, while keeping both ends of Line Two on the ground. Tie your food to one end of the Line Two, and haul it up. Tie off the Ring Line and Line Two high and away from each other. (And be gentle on the tie-off with this thin cord, or you risk damaging thin bark or young trees.)

To retrieve the Ring Line, lower your food, undo your Ring Line tie-off, then pull on both ends of Line Two. (Trying to pull the ring back around a limb risks getting it stuck.)

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I store/backpack with mine on a small, plastic spool. Worth the ounce to me.

Kier Selinsky

@kieran

Locale: Seattle, WA

I use the knotless PCT method, with the PVC pipe section. So I coil it up, stick the coil through the PVC, and then use the 'biner to hook through the two ends. Keeps it neat and tidy, no tangles, and everything is stored together there.

John Almond

@flrider

Locale: The Southeast

My personal DIY food bag is longer and thinner than most of the commercially available ones. It's sized so that my cook kit fills it out at one end. I wind my line (I use paracord right now; I had it on hand when I made the bag) around the bag itself, leave a bit, wrap once back under and through the wound line, and clip off to the bag's drawstring.

It's worked pretty well so far, though my line is twisted a bit from the winding/unwinding of the last three trips. We'll see how it holds up over the long haul…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools