Topic

40 degree plus list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 40 degree plus list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    David McBride

@vintagegent

Locale: Galveston TX

The list below is for backpacking trips where I don't expect to see temperatures much below 40 degrees. Here in the south, that makes it usable for most of the year.

The total packed weight is 6 pounds, 10.8 ounces.

Big Three
    Kitchen
    Clothes
    Hygiene
    Misc

A few notes:
    This, of course, doesn't include the clothes I wear (smartwool LS shirt, nylon pants, cap, wool socks, merino underwear and NB MT101s). Nor does it include the whistle I wear on a lanyard, the lip balm and map I keep in my pockets and my trekking poles–one of which has a length of duct tape wrapped around it.

The one real issue I can see with the list is the headlamp. I recently ditched a Black Diamond Ion (1.1 oz.) in favor of the PrincetonTec. Most of my hiking is in the south, and the best times of the year to backpack are during the late fall, winter and early spring. Hence, not nearly as much light to deal with as those of you who hike in more northerly latitudes. Given that I have to grapple with the dark more, the greater output of the PrincetonTec is more than worth the weight penalty.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Nice gearlist presentation.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I think you would want at least a poly groundsheet under your neoair. How much does the canister fuel weigh? You could go cat can stove/alcohol system and save 5oz or so. Looks like you could ditch the trash bag if you get a cuben stuff sack for your sleeping bag. You could get a mammut Slite to save a oz. Use 2 smart water bottles instead of Gatorade, and I use aquamira to save a couple of oz, I don't know what a buff is and if it's over 40 you don't need gloves. My 40F list is under 6lbs but full of myog gear, this is my initial options. Good list though

David McBride

@vintagegent

Kaleb, thanks for the suggestions. The ZPacks Bug Shelter, which fits under the tarp, actually has a bathtub floor, eliminating the need for a groundsheet.

Are you suggesting that a cuben stuff sack is waterproof? I have one each for my clothes and sleeping bag, and I'm not sure I'd trust them to keep my things dry.

How much do the smart water bottles weigh? And for how much volume?

As for gloves, as I've gotten older, I find that I start needing at least a light pair when the temp gets south of 45 degrees.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Great list and well presented.

Do you use a map and compass?

*Where* did you get the lid for the IMUSA mug?

David McBride

@vintagegent

Thanks, Dale. I do use a map and compass. I usually carry the map in a trouser pocket. And I have a compass function on my watch.

I got the lid here:

https://www.minibulldesign.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=122&idcategory=10

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

"Are you suggesting that a cuben stuff sack is waterproof? I have one each for my clothes and sleeping bag, and I'm not sure I'd trust them to keep my things dry."

Cuben fiber is waterproof. That doesn't mean I'd go submersing one of your stuffsacks in water, but considering that your backpack is cuben (I think?) and your down is protected in a second layer of cuben inside the pack, the pack liner could be a little redundant.

Personally I would use stuff sacks designed to be waterproof (roll top closure etc.) and forego the liner bag. Your decision might also depend on where you would be carrying wet gear. If inside of your main pack, then that might change your decision as well.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

The 23.7 oz smart water bottles weigh 1.05 oz each, so you would save an ounce but have 16 less oz of water. You could always swap one of your gatorades for a 1L collapsible platy. I see now you have the bug inner so no need for a groundsheet. Good list, I like the pictures too

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

no bug spray?

No sunscreen?

No headnet?

I find I REALLY need a windscreen with the Gnat or it will take 2+x the fuel

You need to include wt of empty fuel cannnister

Id ditch the sawyer and go with Aqua mira, even if you bring the Sawyer you need a chemical backup incase it plugs or breaks

Just MYO but 12 oz mug is on the small side, esp for cooking IN it, or even for Freezer bag. A Ti mug is is lighter and larger. Heck a 1.3L evernew pot weighs 4.5oz. (I LOVE mine)

No bandana? Its more versatile than a pack towel. Works esp well as a sun shade when under the hat, or to soak up sweat when worn on head as do-rag

Id get rid of the sewing kit, and bring a needle and dental floss. The floss is strong enough to sew major pack or shelter repairs, the thin colored sewing kit threads, probably not as much. Heavy Nylon upholstry thread works, but is tangle prone.

I like to keep my camera in a small ziplock to keep it from getting the screen scratched up by other objects. Of course I keep it in my side leg pocket so I can get it quick,Im always taking pictures, so it isnt ever in my pack wt. My zip with a couple of wet wipes stays in my other leg pocket for easy access too.

I prefer a photon freedom, and a spare set of batteries, ~.6 oz total . When its dark I make a fire, and go to sleep, havent found the need for more.

May only be 0.3 oz, but you dont need a stuffsak for the quilt, just stuff it in the bottom of the pack liner loosely, put clothing sack in on to, twist the liner up,Lets the pack conform to your back.

Compass?

michael levi

@m-l

Locale: W-Never Eat Soggy (W)affles

This is a great example of how all new gearlist threads should be done from now on.

Seth Brewer
    BPL Member

@whistler

Locale: www.peaksandvalleys.weebly.com

How did you get that picture / info format like that ? a Word document or some other program ?

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

Indeed nice looking with the pics, how did you do that?

@MB
    : The OP said he purposely went for a bigger light because he hikes in fall/winter time a lot, thus lack of daylight. As far as the filter: read Roger Caffins report and then make your own choice.

To all: please list clothing worn and items carried as well. And yes, that includes the weight of fuel canisters.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools