Topic

rethinking the sleeping pad

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear rethinking the sleeping pad

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mobile Calculator
    Spectator

@mobile-calculator

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

well, OK, I have nothing else to do , so here we go…
    What about your arms and your legs ?
    Forgetting that, you will probably find that you will sweat against that foam
    another possible problem is that given the right situation you can get condensation on the floor (often mistaken as water penetration) so that would directly wet out your sleeping bag.
    Besides , do you really sleep all night on your back ?
    Franco

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

rethink the rethinking.

really

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

When I was young I didn't use a pad or ground sheet at all. Maybe we need to lighten our age?

Travis Leanna
    BPL Member

@t-l

Locale: Wisconsin

Ken, 'thinking' in it of itself is hard enough. You ask too much.

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

I think the natural position for mammals is side sleeping. Ever see any mammals besides humans sleep on their back? It's not natural as far as I'm concerned, it does not keep the spine in neutral, that is not good. I'm a side sleeper and think that the side position with about 20 degrees of hip flexion requires about a 15-20 inch wide pad with perhaps a hour glass shaped torso pad would work for side sleepers. That could cut some weight.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

When it's cold and my arm or leg go off the pad and lay directly on the ground they get cold, like they'll get numb after a while.

But I like the thought process here.

I don't sleep comfortably on foam pad, I use heavier air mattress. I could have air mattress just under torso where it's needed and foam the rest of area to keep warm.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

I've slept in a float coat a few nights. This is pretty close to your idea but with closed cell foam on all sides. Worked pretty well.

I had a bit of condensation between my shoulder blades but that was about it. The coat fit fairly loosely so I think the moist air was able to escape as I slept. I'm a side sleeper and change positions often during the night.

I certianly wouldn't rule out your idea without trying it.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

"I think the natural position for mammals is side sleeping. Ever see any mammals besides humans sleep on their back?"

Yes, my dog; and he snores when he does. Most of the time he sleeps on his side and sometimes on his stomach too.

Hmm… seems I do the same.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Most of the time I sleep on my side. And until just a year or so ago I mostly used a foam pad. Torso length only the past few years. Not as young as I used to be.

The only sore spot I get is at my hip, but I am pretty skinny so it is mostly bone down there. I have been pretty happy with my NeoAir. But I have been thinking about just using a NightLite and putting my partially inflated Kooka Bay pillow under my hip. Going to try that one of these weekends.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

"I think the natural position for mammals is side sleeping. Ever see any mammals besides humans sleep on their back? It's not natural as far as I'm concerned, it does not keep the spine in neutral, that is not good. I'm a side sleeper and think that the side position with about 20 degrees of hip flexion requires about a 15-20 inch wide pad with perhaps a hour glass shaped torso pad would work for side sleepers. That could cut some weight."

Some mammals sleep standing up. If we could get that figured out, we wouldn't need any pad at all…

BM

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools