Topic

Gear List Update

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Gear List Update

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Locale: Southwest

So I finally redid my solo gear lists and wanted some feedback on them. I've got three and they are all on their own tab: one for Summer(50 degrees), Spring/Fall(32 degrees), and Winter (0 degrees).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AlMYR7b1rysldGYxWW9ieWpPZHVxNnRORjVQMVpOMFE

Hack away!

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Thanks guys, your insight has been invaluable…

Justin Brennan
    BPL Member

@jgbrennan

Locale: Here and there.

It looks like a well thought out kit, I don't think there is too much that needs to be said..

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

The "my kit bag" looks very heavy

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

When you have cuben fiber rain mitts you really can't expect people to tell you to shave off much weight. At this point? Do more conditioning. I'm fairly sure that per minute spent, it's a much better use of your time than going over your gear list even more.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Ok thanks I'll go over that again. See if I can't shave off a few ounces there. It really is my weak area. I have a hard time leaving a lot of first aid stuff at home and usually go overkill!

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Nice lists.

For the 40 degree list:
    I'd want a plastic whistle, rain jacket, backup fire lighting method, and emergency tinder.

You probably already know that the Frontier Pro doesn't remove bacteria or viruses–likely not an issue anyway if you consider where the water you're drinking is coming from upstream.

You could probably get your cookset weight down to 3 oz using Esbit (if you want to deal with it).

In forested areas, you could experiment with using sticks instead of stakes. I've been happy with that so far, so much that I consider stakes a luxury item.

For the 0 degree list:
    The water filter will be difficult to keep from freezing, rendering it useless. At these temps, I melt snow, use a Steripen, or just don't do anything.

It looks like you're using a white gas stove, but you don't have the fuel canister listed. You might need more fuel and a larger pot if you're planning to melt snow?

I didn't see footwear and socks listed. I'd assume deep snow and add eVent gaiters to the list.

I'd add a second pair of gloves and socks.

If you're not in deep snow, try using sturdy sticks as stakes. If you're in deep snow, definitely use sticks as anchors. Bury them at least 10-12" with a 3' length of cord running around them, but not wrapped. Pack snow, wait 30 min. Attach both ends of cord to tarp or tarp guyline with a tiny Niteize S-biner or Figure 9. One or both ends of anchor cord might need a bowline loop on each end depending on how you want to do this. When breaking camp, just detach anchor cord, give one end a tug, and you're done without having to dig up a snow stake or anchor.

Joslyn Bloodworth

@joslynb

Aquamira is being debated between that and the Sawyer. I still can't decide which would be lighter: tablets and the filter or a slightly heavier filter.

I am pretty happy with my cook kit and I know a lot of people have cut weight with Esbit tabs but I just always have the worst luck with them, but it's a good suggestion.

I hadn't thought about using sticks for stakes. That might work in most places, but there are some situations where I will need thin titanium stakes for the hard packed Georgia dirt.

As for the freezing filter, that is a nugget of new info for me, but you're probably right. If all I'm doing is melting snow I shouldn't need a filter.

Wow, see this is why I needed someone else to look at the list! I forgot to add shoes to my winter list! I'll have to do my research and pick something later.

Thanks for the help!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools