Topic

AT NOBO, Starting 4/10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists AT NOBO, Starting 4/10

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chiappini

@juggles

Locale: NJ/NYC

AT NOBO, starting April 10

What sticks out?

I guess my biggest question is the sleep set up; if I should skip the hoodie and start off with the warmer weather, long sleeve with the balaclava.

The balaclava feels warmer then the bomber hat. Is a balaclava always the go to head piece?

I think I'm going to add battery's 2032's, a tweezer taped to the razor sheath, and nail scissors to the list. Or the tweezer taped to the scissors and not bring the razor.

Gear list…
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aloi42aSJzKpdHdlVHlhZjc1Unh5Y0s2bkN5eUliSXc#gid=0

Great Smoky Mountains Nat. Park weather…
    http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Great+Smoky+Mountains+Nat.+Park+-+N.+Carolina+TN+TNNPGRSMNC:13

Thanks!

Clint Hewitt

@walksoftly33

Locale: New England

That list is a pretty nice list, with quite a bit mad yourself, kudos it will be nice to be with your creations for six months.

As far as the R1 hoodie, yea you could probably get away with not bringing it but it is fairly easy to mail things along the trail, so you could bring along to start and if you are not expecting to need it ship the the R1 ahead or home. Or have some one ship it to you for something like the Smokies But with this winter you really might not need it.

I remember the desire to ship stuff home and drop weight, but at a certain point I started to pick a few things up for the comfort of the ride. Maybe your R1 fits in there maybe something like a camera does, having pictures and video especially is pretty sweet but not essential.

What is the thickness of the blue foam. I went to a thin foam mattress and I think in the end it makes more sense to carry extra weight to sleep soundly, not having to wake up and reposition. I think you already are in the right direction carrying a full length pad, and in the same vain don't hesitate to add something more if you are not sleeping through the night. Getting good sleep every night is helpful for some down the road.

All in all your list is pretty sweet, what ever you bring is gonna work, or you will make it work. I imagine with a good amount of the gear being home made, you might have the opportunity to adjust or fix them yourself in the field and town. Besides gearshops, in some towns goodwill, and thrift stores are a good place to look to lighten, replace or pick up some gear.

Christopher Chiappini

@juggles

Locale: NJ/NYC

Thanks! BOY did that epiphany in 09 on the VT Long Trail hurt! Afterwards I didn't know what I was getting myself into when I bought a sewing machine and started reading about Ray Jardine, the cottage backpacking industry and learning new backpacking skills. No horseshoes though!

I was in Harriman NY for 3 nights last week and wished I had the R1.

The thickness of the blue foam is 3/8th. Last week I used a 3+ year old, torso cut length, Thermarest Ridge Rest Solar and now understand why I should have used the brand new full length, body cut, blue pad.

The wind pants already need to be patched on the shins from brush. Momentum is a great fabric, but I think the AT might eat them up quickly.

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

– Don't see compass or map
    – While I love wool gloves, I find I go through them rather quickly using trekking poles – is this an issue for you? Reading Skurka's book I found out about his secret of Defeet wool Duragloves that have some nylon in the blend and rubber feet on the palm. I just ordered a pair myself and hope they last longer than standard wool gloves.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools