Topic

Packing routine

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Packing routine

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

How long does it take you to get your packing routine straightened out?

At the start I pack in a reasonable way, then refine it over the next few days as I establish a routine. I unfortunately don't get out very often so I can't rely on the previous routine, as I can't remember it, and in any case conditions change. Once I'm in the groove I know where everything is and can pack, unpack and find things quickly.

My wife apparently never develops a routine, as far as I can tell. Each day things are to be found in different pockets or stuff sacks or sides of her pack, and she always has to spend time hunting for whatever she needs. She's like this at home, too (with luck she won't read this!).

Do you get into a packing routine, and if so, how long does it take?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I think it took me a couple weeks on the PCT before I had a routine. I've lost some of my routine since then but retain enough of it that I could probably get it back quickly.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

My packing routine:

I start off with a copy of my "Master Gear List". I then delete all items that I won't be taking. Whatever is left is my packing list. This method minimizes the chance of overlooking a piece of needed gear.

I pack pretty much the same way for all trips — things go in pretty much the same places. This makes packing and repacking quicker and less error prone.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Yes, it is fairly important to pack the same items in the same places. That minimizes the amount of time you have to spend looking for one item, because you know exactly where it will be.

When I pack up at home, I put everything out on the living room floor that is on the equipment list. Then I place each item into the pack according to what seems logical. Then I lift it onto my shoulders for a test. Then I set it down and unload it. This time, I extract each item and put them in a row across the floor. Then I load them back into the pack, trying to see if there is a better order. In general, the order stays the same.

–B.G.–

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Packing routine takes maybe 3-5 minutes tops. It's getting the air out of my pad and removing crusty bits from my pot that take up time.

Fold up my pad inside my pack, then packliner goes in the pack, stuff my quilt, bivy, and insulation at the bottom, then every other item goes on top of those, roll the packliner roll top up. Drop my food bag and pot/stove on top. Cinch up my pack.

Small essentials go in my outside rear mesh pocket (shell, water treatment, FA, headlamp) along with tarp and stakes. Water on the side.

Packing routine takes maybe 3-5 minutes tops.

I take the same items with me usually. Making what little I have work simplifies this whole process.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools