Topic

Mesh for MYOG packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Mesh for MYOG packs

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

Locale: South West

Hey John "The Mesh Master", what mesh should I use on my next MYOG pack? I'm looking for something that won't stretch very much and is durable for bush whacking. Like Ron and Chris Z uses.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Locale: Southeastern Texas

Kaleb,

I'm looking too!

Chris Zimmer uses the mesh from Outdoor Wilderness Fabrics. It is the 1/8" rawhide mesh item #: MESHRAW1/8

He said;

"It is a little stiffer then I would like to start with but loosens over use and it is very durable".

Unfortunately it is currently "OUT OF STOCK, COMING SOON IN NEW STYLE" at OWFInc.

I'm kind of interested in the Mil-Spec Heavyweight Mesh at Rockywoods.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Mesh-Fabrics/Mil-Spec-Heavyweight-Mesh-Fabric

It comes in black, foliage green and khaki. The fabric weight is 9.5 oz per sq yard.

I would think the Mil-Spec mesh would be durable enough for bush whacking.

Seattle Fabrics has a #1571 Medium Poly Mesh. It's a semi-stiff handed mesh with 1/8" round holes. On their site it is said to good for bags, traffic vests, dive bags, storage compartments and many other uses.

I've never handled it but it also seems like it could be a good option. It's available in black, orange and white.

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mesh.html

Scroll down halfway on the page. ;-)

Let me know what you decide to use.

Party On,

Newton

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Kaleb,

Here is another one to consider. It is from The Rainshed Inc.

Coarse Polyester Netting
    Item#: 2834 – Black
    Suggested needles: Universal 80/12
    Weight/sq yd: 4.3 oz
    Content: 100% Polyester
    Width: 48"
    Price/yd: $7.00
    1" image area

Coarse Polymesh

"Durable, heavy weight, not soft, minimal stretch
    Use for bags for wet gear or tough laundry sacks".

I'm going to email them and ask about the hole size.

Party on,

Newton

Update

"The approximate hole size of the coarse polyester netting #2834 is 1/4" diameter".

Party On,

Newton

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

John, That's the mesh I used for my last pack. It is good stuff, the holes are large so it would drain/dry gear well. Here is some pictures of it unstuffed and stuffed with a neoair/tent/rain jacket/pillow, and some up close detail. I like the mesh but don't want all my myog packs to look the same, and with the large holes it seems like it could snag on brush.

m

mm

mm

mmmm

mmmmmm

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Kaleb,

The pack looks great and the mesh seems like a good fit.

"I like the mesh but don't want all my myog packs to look the same…"

Form follows function! ;-)

I kind of like smaller 1/8" holed mesh so that my stitching has more of the mesh fabric actually stitched into place. The bigger the holes the less secure the casing for the elastic becomes at the top edge of the pocket IME.

FWIW I was working with Leno mesh and experienced these issues.

Party On,

Newton

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

You are right, I did have small parts where the mesh did not get properly sewn into the first seam. I went over those parts to get it stitched. I do quadruple stitch (or should I say 4 different stiches not on top of each other) with half inch seam allowances on the main 4 verticals seams so the mesh gets punched by several of them. I gave it a pull after each seam to test it as I sewed. must have used about 7 full bobbins on the pack.

I like that rawhide mesh that's out of stock, looks like I'll have to wait a while.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Thanks for the update.
    Weighed the 1/8" hole stuff from two different sources, and it was around 7 1/2 oz. per sq. yd., while the Leno stuff (uncoated) ran around 6 1/2 osy. The vinyl coated Leno was 10 osy. The uncoated Leno can develop runs, though, when subjected to pressure, as in sitting on a chair, or stretching a back band. The Rawhide 1/8" appears to be tougher, as its name implies, so is probably worth the extra fraction of an ounce for a backband.

The 1/4 inch stuff seems fine for stuff pockets on the outside of packs, though. Nice work on the pack.

I keep thinking that if Dimension-Polyant can make bomber fabric for around 5 oz. per sq. yd, you'd think a durable mesh could be made just as light in weight. But apparently not available, so far.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Hi Sam,

Your post reminded me of what I used to do to make my pack pockets before I became the "Mesh Master". ;-) L O L

I used to use the regular non mesh pack fabric and fix the corners at the bottom edges with a triangular "cutout" to allow for water drainage.

Pocket Cutouts

The cutouts are visible on the bottom left and right corners of the pocket.

Based on the fabric weights of the mesh vs the fabric weights of some of the pack fabrics that we use I see some possible advantages here.

1.) You could have lighter pockets.

2.) The pockets would be less likely to snag while bushwhacking.

3.) There would be no voids along the top elasticized edge of the pocket when sewing.

Nothing works like a mesh pocket for drainage of a wet tarp or raingear but maybe there is a workable hybrid pocket design in my future. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Hi John,

Righto for pack pockets. Great idea, oh Meshmeister. Although really sopped stuff might dry out faster in a mesh pocket. One year, I tried packing the tent in a stuff bag made of fiberglass screening and strapped to the outside of the pack. Surprisingly, a wet tent dried out a lot while hiking.

About fiberglass screening. Even some of the MYOG materials sites sell it.
    But would need to test it some to find out how wear resistant it is, if at all, and if some types are more durable than others.

For other mesh applications where ventilation is needed, like a mesh backpanel, or the seat and back support for a camp chair, all those little holes in the mesh are needed, I think. I found I could use my camp chair much more comfortably during or after rain when the cloth seat and back were removed and replaced by Leno mesh that was not very water absorbent.

Being a big fan of suspended mesh backpanels, I appreciate that all the little holes are needed to provide the ventilation that keeps the back dry.
    Not too much added weight to use the 'Rawhide' for a portion of backpanel.
    But for a chair, it is substantial. And the Leno mesh caves and distorts after a while. To keep the weight down, the 'Rawhide' chair seat will be smaller, and the chairback will be both smaller and the lighter Leno.

Wonder if the fiberglass screening could be used for a backpanel. Will have to ponder that one.

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Sam,

scfhome said,

"Although really sopped stuff might dry out faster in a mesh pocket".

Newton said,

"Nothing works like a mesh pocket for drainage of a wet tarp or raingear but maybe there is a workable hybrid pocket design in my future". ;-)

+1 and more for …"really sopped stuff might dry out faster in a mesh pocket"…

The hybrid pocket idea came from the left side of my brain (L left and light). The mesh pockets come from the right side of my brain (R right and rawhide mesh).LOL

I saw another thread on "modular" or "detachable" large mesh front pack pockets. Maybe one of these made out of the fiberglass screening material used in concert with fabric pockets fixed to drain. Could we get light and functional together in this way. The wheels are turning inside my head but I smell something. I think my clutch is slipping! LOL

I can't really get into a project at present. Too many hours at work, our son is getting married in 1 month and I have to get off of this computer now and catch up on things that need doing around the house.

Besides I just ran out of coffee! ;-(

I'm going to go hiking behind a lawn mower right now. Tomorrow I'll be hiking in the state park. Yea!

Party On,

Newton

K C
    BPL Member

@kalebc

What kind of mesh does Gossamer gear use on their pack to hold the sit pad, looks like a stretchy mesh. I think I have a MH pack with the same mesh to hold the water bottles on the side. A source?

John Donewar
    BPL Member

@newton

Kaleb,

FWTIW Thsi info is copied and pasted from Quest Outfitters website.

LENO MESH- soft finish
    WT/SQ YD= 6.6 oz. 100% Nylon. 840 Denier x 1680 Denier nylon mesh. This is a very durable yet soft feeling and drapable mesh. Very little stretch (just a very minimal amount of cross stretch). Easy to sew. Able to withstand heavy loads. Machine washable. This is the mesh included in the G-4 backpack kits. Uses: great for backpack pockets, heavy duty storage and gear bags, marine uses where water needs to drain, ventilation in the back of pack frames.. Wash Code =1 ROLL SIZE = 50 YDS

LYCRA MESH
    WT/SQ YD= approx. 5 oz. 84% Nylon / 16% Spandex. Nylon mesh constructed with Spandex (Lycra) which provides a superb 4-way stretch. Lightweight, tightly woven, soft feeling power mesh that also has a litle bit of body to it.. This is the mesh included in the G-4 backpack kits. Uses: lightweight mesh gear pocket, linings where stretch is needed, undershirts, activewear
    ROLL SIZE = 100 YDS

I believe the lycra is the one that you are referring to when you asked, "What kind of mesh does Gossamer gear use on their pack to hold the sit pad…"

G4 Pack from Gossamer Gear

To be certain I believe I'd email Gossamer Gear and ask them the question that you used starting off your post.

"Mesh Master" out hiking now. ;-)

Party On,

Newton

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

The Quest Lycra Mesh is very similar if not the same as the Gossamer Gear stuff. I've used it on a couple packs and really like it. The tiny holes make it really hard to snag. I've bushwacked lots with it and zero holes over a couple year period.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools